Static vs Dynamic IP Address for Security. Which is better?

"Static IP" vs "Dynamic IP" Address for PC Security. Which is better?

• Static IP

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Dynamic IP

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • It doesn't really matter!

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
Each have there flaws but atm on my ISP i was given a static IP and im wondering should iask them to change it to dynamic for security reasons

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I don't know if they would change it unless you have a valid reason on why they should. I could be completely wrong though, I just use a vpn to change my ip and I have no speed loss.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
they said that static ip's are mainly for a business when i mnot all home users should have dynamic ip addresses i didnt pay an extra for a static ip

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Dynamic IP vs Static IP
Static IP addressing is for one customer on one IP address and Dynamic IP addressing assigns a different IP address each time the ISP customer logs on to their computer, but this is dependent upon the Internet Service Provider (ISP) because some ISP's only change the IP address as they deem it necessary.

If you have Dynamic IP Addressing through your Website Host it means that you are sharing an IP Address with several other customers.

If you are a beginner on the internet, an avid internet user, are entertaining the thought of starting your own website business, are a gamer, use VOIP or VPN there are several things you should know about IP Addressing.

In contrast, Dynamic IP addressing should not be used for VOIP, VPN, playing online games or game hosting because Dynamic IP addressing is less reliable then Static IP addressing and could cause the service to disconnect while you are on a VOIP, VPN or gaming.
Source http://whatismyipaddress.com/dynamic-static

Reactions: Petrovic and Jack

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
People may think that the Dynamic IP address is more secure than the Static, as it changes with each session on the network and it becomes difficult for the hackers to find the computer. In contrast, a static IP address can become a security risk, because here the address is always the same and it is easier to track the computer for data mining purposes or someone who is really determined to find your computer and cause damage to it has a better chance of doing so or has more time to work on getting past your security. But, according to me, the type of IP address assigned has nothing to do with the security of the computer when you have a good security program or a firewall installed on it.

So, no matter what you use - a Dynamic IP address or a Static IP address, following safe Internet practices and using a good and updated security program on the computer keep your computer secure and protected from the Internet threats.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-dynamic/6eee9598-ad27-4473-926d-11ef609e9441

using a good and updated security program on the computer keep your computer secure and protected from the Internet threats
+windows & software updates
+I recommend to use the VPN service, for example: cyberghost, etc....

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
with my pc config on the config forum i think static ip should be secure

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
thanks for the link so static and dynamic are as secure as the computer is really

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.