Stealthing my ports help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JurgNet

Thread author
Sep 11, 2011
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this thread ,
but I need to know how to stealth all my ports using Outpost security suite pro 7.5

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you try reading of the Help Guides with the software?

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Not quite sure if you still need this...

Open Settings, select Firewall node and select Run in Stealth Mode checkbox, if not selected already, which may be its default setting.

Use the Firewall Policy slider to select a firewall mode according to your requirements.

[attachment=873]

Initially, Rules Wizard is a good starting point, which in conjunction with the Rules auto-creation settings under General -> ImproveNet [set this depending on whether you're comfortable with letting Outpost to auto generate rules, based on these being well-known, signed by trusted vendors, etc.] should be good to get you up and running. Note that you're facing some serious prompt activity :).

[attachment=874]

If you're confident that you're clean and there's no malicious activity present on your PC, you can switch to Learn Mode for a while to try and aleviate the pain associated with having to manually add rules. Right-click on the OSS icon in the notification area and select Enter Auto-Learn Mode...from the context menu.

Once you're comfortable with the rules, you may consider switching the firewall policy to Block Most, which will block anything that isn't explicitly allowed. I'm running Block Most for both Background and Entertaintment Mode policy too.

Edit - added screenshots.

Attachments

• Snap_2011.11.01_14h40m56s_001.jpg
    Snap_2011.11.01_14h40m56s_001.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 668
  • Snap_2011.11.01_14h42m39s_002.jpg
    Snap_2011.11.01_14h42m39s_002.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 726

JurgNet

Thread author
Sep 11, 2011
@Earth I surely did .
@NathanF1 thank you , already done that ,but when checking @pcflank it shows this :

Code:
http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1s.htm
Packet' type Status
TCP "ping" non-stealthed
TCP NULL non-stealthed
TCP FIN non-stealthed
TCP XMAS non-stealthed
UDP non-stealthed

I m not sure on how to solve this issue .

D

Deleted member 178

JurgNet said:

if my memory is good, if you are behind a router, PC flank check the router not the firewall.

JurgNet

Thread author
Sep 11, 2011
Well u might be right umbrapolaris , I haven't thinked about that :)
I haven t done anything wrong on my outpost config , so it might be this reason .
Regards

I

illumination

umbrapolaris said:
JurgNet said:

if my memory is good, if you are behind a router, PC flank check the router not the firewall.

You are right on umbrapolaris, that is exactly what is happening, GRC will do the same.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
JurgNet said:
@Earth I surely did .
@NathanF1 thank you , already done that ,but when checking @pcflank it shows this :

Code:
http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1s.htm
Packet' type Status
TCP "ping" non-stealthed
TCP NULL non-stealthed
TCP FIN non-stealthed
TCP XMAS non-stealthed
UDP non-stealthed

Hi JurgNet, apologies for the post, I must have misunderstood the question. Will check PCFlank and GRC later and post the results [it's been a while since I've done these].

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
If my memory is good, if you are behind a router, PC flank check the router not the firewall.

Yep this is correct. You need to know your router address and log in. Yours will look different compared to mine below.

Go to your routers Firewall settings and check that its enabled then run the test again. I have mine set to High.

This is my result.

unledduc.jpg

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
Yep this is correct. You need to know your router address and log in. Yours will look different compared to mine below.

Normally to get into your router you type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, or the one that you have set.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
McLovin said:
MrXidus said:

Normally to get into your router you type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, or the one that you have set.

Different brands of routers have different addresses. As mine is not 192.168.1.1.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
I checked 2 PCs currently running OSS and got Stealthed. Unable to post router settings, can't remember the password right now, how embarrassing...

PCFlank Result

[attachment=875]

P.S. GRC ShieldsUP! passed as well.

Attachments

• Snap_2011.11.02_21h41m06s_003.png
    Snap_2011.11.02_21h41m06s_003.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 676

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
NathanF1 said:
can't remember the password right now, how embarrassing...

Don't blame you lol. Mines 128+ characters long I can't remember it so I have it saved for when ever I need it.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Stealthing ports is just a marketing gimmick.
As long as your ports are closed then you are perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.