_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As safe as Steam itself, I would imagine that the user could make it "less safe", but I have
had my acct for about 10yrs. I have dabbled in the workshop a few times with no issues.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
As safe as Steam itself, I would imagine that the user could make it "less safe", but I have
had my acct for about 10yrs. I have dabbled in the workshop a few times with no issues.

Thanks what do you think steam does to keep workshop clean ? I heard of users saying they got a virus from them before but only ever took it with a grain of salt.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I can't speak for steam, but I would dare to guess that most updated work is checked, also if
malicious content is uploaded to Steam servers, the company that hosts the servers weather it be steam or
a 3rd party host have at the very least scanning abilities on the server itself, I don't want to go into depth
on this but anyone who has purchased hosting for servers or websites will be familiar with why I said that.
I have used and downloaded a ton of workshop content and not once been infected, is it possible ? sure,
is it likely ? I would say No.

JavaCryptor

May 23, 2017
From my experiences, Steam's workshop has been fully virus free. I have only come across one instance where a game had and exploit in it's code, allowing a virus to be embedded into the mod's code. After the mod was released on the Steam workshop under the name "Security Exploit", the developers released a patch for the exploit.

Reactions: ng4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.