Troubleshoot Still getting Malware after factory reset!

marcuspassey

Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2014
Hi guys

After much discussion here but not cured my computer I decided to do a factory restore

Computer seems like new

Although

When running my superantispyware

and Malware bytes

Im still getting plenty of malware

I have mcafee security suite I paid for it so gotta keep it but dont think it keeps the threats out

When I run my superantispyware I get a browser extensions warning for

mysearchdial
delta toolbar
IMinent
Funmoods toolbar

Is this how the malware is getting in? should I delete these extensions?

And is there a free anti malware protection tool that I can run alongside my mcafee?

Cheers

Marcus

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well to me it looks like after you did the factory restore and your pc was new again
you reinstalled some of the same software you used before and that had those toolbars
and search,homepage highjacks in them

when installing software you need to watch as the software installs and uncheck things
like toolbars and search,homepage changes that come in free software

:)

James

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 21043

For ANYONE who still has malware after a System Factory Reset/Reinstallation of the OS, listen up, I have a plan for you ;)

Format the Hard Drive. THEN install the Operating System. Then it should all be okay. If the malware/infections return afterwards, check the installation isn't infected itself.

Reactions: Moose and WinXPert
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
If you used your infected installers before the factory reset, chances are you are getting reinfections, otherwise, check your MBR

Reactions: Moose
Upvote 0

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
please download hijackthis and export your system log to a staff member as that can sort problems out DO NOT mess with HJT if you are not familiar with it

Upvote 0

Alucard

Level 2
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
Not a security expert so I'd need someone to confirm or check what I say but doesn't Chrome(assuming you use Chrome) save the extensions on a person's profile?
I remember when getting my laptop I logged into Google Chrome and all my previous settings and extensions were back.
Could this be the reason why these toolbar's/extensions are still there?

So, overall what I'm trying to say is wouldn't he have to get rid of these toolbar's/extensions before restoring his computer. I doubt he even needed a restore.

(Note: I don't know anything about Firefox, I don't use it)

Reactions: VirusAttak
Upvote 0

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Not a security expert so I'd need someone to confirm or check what I say but doesn't Chrome(assuming you use Chrome) save the extensions on a person's profile?
I remember when getting my laptop I logged into Google Chrome and all my previous settings and extensions were back.
Could this be the reason why these toolbar's/extensions are still there?

So, overall what I'm trying to say is wouldn't he have to get rid of these toolbar's/extensions before restoring his computer. I doubt he even needed a restore.

(Note: I don't know anything about Firefox, I don't use it)

I agree with you Chrome Reinstalled everything as soon as you re login with same username and password

Reactions: Alucard
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.