Still getting unwanted ads in my webpages, please help!

Tahlia Shalimar

Thread author
Jan 23, 2013
Hi Everyone
I've run AdwCleaner
Malware and
HitmanPro-

Unfortunately, I'm still getting ads, although Malware and AdwCleaner picked up the majority of the ads, Hitman didn't pick up any threats but found cookies. All these programs were the free versions. I have purchased Norton and Adblock. Norton works well. Adblock was purchased but they never gave me the serial number so it was rendered obsolete.
How can I remove these ads permanently please. Love some help, thankyou, kindly for all your help in advance!!!
http://malwaretips.com/images/icons/tongue.gif

P

Plexx

Hi
Do you mean that you get pop ups opening on new pages/tabs or just ads being displayed on the pages you are viewing?

What browser do you use?

If you use Chrome/Firefox: Adblock Plus (free) works fine. For Internet Explorer, I believe is Simple Adblock extension which is free.

Or do you mean you believe you have infections still running on your system?

If so, you could try Emsisoft Emergency Kit (http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/) and do a scan just to be sure.

We would be able to help you more if you could specify the above questions.

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi, there may actually be more than just adware on your PC. I hjave moved this thread to the Malware Removal forum.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop from here
  • Turn off your antivirus software now to avoid potential conflicts
  • Double-click to run the tool. For Windows Vista or 7 users, right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) will be saved to your desktop and will automatically open
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply

Download OTL by Old Timer from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click on OTL.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Change Standard Registry to All
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please attach the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.

If you don't know how to attach the files, please follow the instructions here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-use-the-attachment-system?pid=16072#pid16072

Tahlia Shalimar

Thread author
Jan 23, 2013
Biozfear said:
Hi
Do you mean that you get pop ups opening on new pages/tabs or just ads being displayed on the pages you are viewing?

What browser do you use?

If you use Chrome/Firefox: Adblock Plus (free) works fine. For Internet Explorer, I believe is Simple Adblock extension which is free.

If so, you could try Emsisoft Emergency Kit (http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/) and do a scan just to be sure.

Hey, thank you for your reply to my problem. That's fantastic! I seem to have them now on pages like Facebook and they're not on the new tabs.

I use chrome, internet explorer and fire fox.
many thanks,
Tahlia

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

Please follow the instruction I provided above for the OTL scan and Junkware Removal tool to make sure we have removed all the unwanted files from your PC.

Tahlia Shalimar

Thread author
Jan 23, 2013
Hey there 'Biozfear
Strange your link does not seem to be active.
Thanks for trying to help.
Still same issue...
I use Firefox, Google Chrome and Explore.
The ads are appearing on the sites such as facebook, when I open a new tab it seems ok, today.

Biozfear said:
Hi

What browser do you use?

Tahlia Shalimar

Thread author
Jan 23, 2013
Hey Fiery
The link you sent for the first file top download came up as being a malicious file when I downloaded it. Not wanting to take the risk to install it. That was the Junkware removal tool, which I searched on on the internet and found nosuch thing exists.
I ran your OTL link and downloaded and installed and ran the scan. Below is the readout from the notepad I got.

OTL logfile created on: 1/26/2013 4:41:03 PM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Users\Tahlia\Downloads
Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (Version = 6.1.7601) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.0.8112.16421)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

3.41 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.49 Gb Available Physical Memory | 43.72% Memory free
6.82 Gb Paging File | 4.32 Gb Available in Paging File | 63.27% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): ?:\pagefile.sys [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 465.66 Gb Total Space | 289.98 Gb Free Space | 62.27% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive E: | 0.86 Mb Total Space | 0.00 Mb Free Space | 0.00% Space Free | Partition Type: CDFS
Drive F: | 465.11 Gb Total Space | 222.92 Gb Free Space | 47.93% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive G: | 0.86 Mb Total Space | 0.00 Mb Free Space | 0.00% Space Free | Partition Type: CDFS
Drive H: | 930.86 Gb Total Space | 731.85 Gb Free Space | 78.62% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Computer Name: TAHLIA-PC | User Name: Tahlia | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: Current user
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: On | File Age = 30 Days

========== Processes (SafeList) ==========

PRC - [2013/01/26 16:30:46 | 000,602,112 | ---- | M] (OldTimer Tools) -- C:\Users\Tahlia\Downloads\OTL.exe
PRC - [2013/01/25 15:09:47 | 000,105,832 | ---- | M] (SurfRight B.V.) -- C:\Program Files\HitmanPro\hmpsched.exe
PRC - [2013/01/21 06:29:18 | 028,539,272 | ---- | M] (Dropbox, Inc.) -- C:\Users\Tahlia\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
PRC - [2012/12/19 06:08:28 | 000,065,192 | ---- | M] (Adobe Systems Incorporated) -- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
PRC - [2012/12/14 20:17:04 | 003,467,768 | ---- | M] (TeamViewer GmbH) -- C:\Program Files\TeamViewer\Version8\TeamViewer_Service.exe
PRC - [2012/12/14 16:49:28 | 000,682,344 | ---- | M] (Malwarebytes Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
PRC - [2012/12/14 16:49:28 | 000,512,360 | ---- | M] (Malwarebytes Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
PRC - [2012/12/14 16:49:28 | 000,398,184 | ---- | M] (Malwarebytes Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
PRC - [2012/12/05 12:40:03 | 000,143,928 | R--- | M] (Symantec Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\20.2.1.22\ccsvchst.exe
PRC - [2012/11/23 13:48:41 | 000,049,152 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) -- C:\Windows\System32\taskhost.exe
PRC - [2012/05/30 14:56:52 | 003,048,136 | ---- | M] (Skype Technologies S.A.) -- C:\ProgramData\Skype\Toolbars\Skype C2C Service\c2c_service.exe
PRC - [2012/01/18 06:44:52 | 000,450,848 | ---- | M] (Logitech Inc.) -- C:\Program Files\Common Files\logishrd\LVMVFM\UMVPFSrv.exe
PRC - [2011/02/25 16:30:54 | 002,616,320 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation) -- C:\Windows\explorer.exe
PRC - [2010/10/06 00:08:46 | 002,655,768 | R--- | M] (Intel Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
PRC - [2010/10/06 00:08:42 | 000,325,656 | R--- | M] (Intel Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
PRC - [2010/09/14 12:32:32 | 000,013,336 | ---- | M] (Intel Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
PRC - [2010/09/14 12:32:30 | 000,283,160 | ---- | M] (Intel Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
PRC - [2010/08/13 09:00:18 | 000,087,712 | ---- | M] (Intel Corporation) -- C:\Windows\System32\IPROSetMonitor.exe
PRC - [2010/07/01 11:38:26 | 000,083,512 | ---- | M] (ArcSoft, Inc.) -- C:\Users\Tahlia\AppData\Roaming\HP SimpleSave Application\uUACTokenSvc.exe
PRC - [2010/06/28 22:59:08 | 000,372,736 | ---- | M] (Adblock Pro Team) -- C:\Program Files\Adblock Pro\abpmain.exe
PRC - [2010/04/27 13:09:52 | 000,113,288 | ---- | M] (Renesas Electronics Corporation) -- C:\Program Files\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe
PRC - [2009/12/16 07:47:00 | 000,103,720 | ---- | M] (CyberLink) -- C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe

========== Modules (No Company Name) ==========

Fiery said:
Hi, there may actually be more than just adware on your PC. I hjave moved this thread to the Malware Removal forum.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop from here
  • Turn off your antivirus software now to avoid potential conflicts
  • Double-click to run the tool. For Windows Vista or 7 users, right-click the file and select Run as Administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) will be saved to your desktop and will automatically open
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply

Download OTL by Old Timer from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click on OTL.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Change Standard Registry to All
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please attach the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.

If you don't know how to attach the files, please follow the instructions here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-use-the-attachment-system?pid=16072#pid16072

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Tahlia Shalimar said:
Hey there 'Biozfear
Strange your link does not seem to be active.
Thanks for trying to help.
Still same issue...
I use Firefox, Google Chrome and Explore.
The ads are appearing on the sites such as facebook, when I open a new tab it seems ok, today.

Biozfear said:
Hi

What browser do you use?

Here is the updated link for Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Thanks.:D

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

The tools are not malicious, that is a false positive. Rest assure that any tools I ask you to download is not harmful. If you are suspicious about it, here are some links that will prove it is not a malicious file. It is a very specialized tool designed to remove adware. If you are skeptical, we can use OTL to resolve your problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic473671.html/page__view__findpost__p__2883581

Also, You OTL log is cut off. Can you attach the OTL log? Click "new reply" and scroll down to the attachment section. Click Choose file and select the OTL log. Then click "Add Attachment" and post your reply.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.