Advice Request Still safe to Use KIS 2014?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Is anyone else using KIS 2014? I have a product key and disc (Box version) of KIS 2011 that I found. Their migration policy is that I can install up to KIS 2014. Signature updates should be updated past that date. Patches, bugfixes, etc will not be issued. Does anyone see a major issue or vulnerability in using it for 1 year?

I would just buy a new version, but I want to be a good steward of what I have - as I am out of work.

Migration Policy: Migration policy to Kaspersky Internet Security 2014

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am not that familiar with Kaspersky's policies and habits,
There are free options out there that would protect you far better than outdated software.
There is an inherent risk that comes with using outdated software
and you compound that when it relies on sigs and keeping itself
on par with fighting to keep your software safe.
2yrs is a very long time in software years.
I would not with good conscience say you would be protected
using that. Call is yours though.
PeAcE

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In such reality, better upgrade for the higher version since the effectiveness will not work very well even though you have updated signatures.

+ Full of vulnerability risk for that AV against future attacks compare to the latest version.

Reactions: harlan4096

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
No it isnt, you are much better using Windows Defender than using software not supported by the developer.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Yikes, I'll have to do some thinking. The highest their migration policy allows is 2014 from 2011 as @harlan4096 stated. It is 6 months out of support. I would be risking it for 6 months. Will have to be more dilligent. I purchased it and PURE online and forgot about the 2011 version. I'll take this into serious considertation.

Thanks to all for opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.