Troubleshoot Stop Update Nags

bbhank

Thread author
Aug 10, 2017
Looking to stop update nagging totally and for good. Never mind the risks, the machine belongs to me, not to Adobe or any other software or hardware manufacturer. Tired of the continuous nagging to update, especially from Adobe Acrobat, after I have checked the box to never update or don't even look for updates.

I am a technician and well aware of what updating does and doesn't do. I don't need to be asked why I don't want updates when the machines are mine. Rationalizing this to someone is not necessary. Auto updating has shown to cause more problems than they solve, especially in causing problems with other softwares than the ones being updated. This is especially true when updating Windows when some softwares are made obsolete by the update process itself. Tired of spending time and money fighting updates.

The Adobe Flash update has made a special and total nuisance of itself with its continuous nagging even after the box is checked not to look for updates. The issue here is how to disable this nag as well as any others that are set up to nag you after you select it not to update. If this is a product of the particular site, the question still stands as long as the nagging persists. It's not a question of where it comes from, just need it stopped once and for all.

Companies should NOT be allowed to nag you for anything, period, after you tell them not to bother you. Many feel they have some "right" to nag you for not buying or using their product or some certain version of their product. If MY computer is not protected, is not using the latest version of whatever software, it is MINE -
Bottom line. I can take it out in the yard and take a sledge hammer to it if I want!! I can run DOS on it if I want.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hello and welcome to MT.
Things you can try :
  • Disable updates check from installation window
  • FP_Updater_Installer_UpdateOptions.jpg
  • Check from within the settings of the program
  • Capture.PNG
  • Check your start up items and disable unwanted
  • Check your Task Scheduler Library and delete unwanted

Upvote 0

ICTSERVICES

Level 1
Aug 12, 2017
Hello bbhank, for Windows I would also stop and disable the Acrobat update service and setup this key in the register for every Adobe product:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\.....\FeatureLockDown + DWORD "bUpdater" = 0

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.