Stop Using IE - Internet Explorer is not a Browser!

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
L

Local Host

Internet Explorer stopped being a browser the moment Microsoft Edge was released, was only maintained due to Enterprise dependency, it should not be used by Home Users.

It's not that hard to understand :coffee:

Reactions: Vasudev and Azure

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Internet Explorer stopped being a browser the moment Microsoft Edge was released, was only maintained due to Enterprise dependency, it should not be used by Home Users.

It's not that hard to understand :coffee:
MS edge stopped development when nobody used it and they went with chromium build.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Then why does Kaspersky use Internet Explorer as the foundation of its SafePay banking protection ?

I know a number of enterprises and government agencies that still use Internet Explorer and ban the use of any other browser. Also if you go to any second or third world country almost everyone is running XP and using Internet Explorer except for in the major cities. Even here there are still large numbers of people running XP and 7.
Some of the offices including my dad's use XP and 7.

L

Local Host

MS edge stopped development when nobody used it and they went with chromium build.
I never get tired of being the exception to the rule, as I used Microsoft Edge. You got your "facts" all wrong either way,
  • People use Microsoft Edge (we talking milions, not a few hundred).
  • Microsoft Edge is changing the engine to Blink, not using a Chromium Build.
  • Microsoft Edge using Blink has nothing to do with user base, but has to do with Web Compatability.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I never get tired of being the exception to the rule, as I used Microsoft Edge. You got your "facts" all wrong either way,
  • People use Microsoft Edge (we talking milions, not a few hundred).
  • Microsoft Edge is changing the engine to Blink, not using a Chromium Build.
  • Microsoft Edge using Blink has nothing to do with user base, but has to do with Web Compatability.
I still use Edge on my phone. I stopped using Edge on PC because it starts in background hogging my CPU when I'm using battery. I was using FF actively and FF Quantum really helped with battery life too.. so I ditched Edge. And last part was, any flaw disclosed by Project Zero or similar would require full update from MSFT's side along with OS fixes which might make things worse, if it was a separate app updatable through Store or as Win32 app then it is good.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I still use Edge on my phone. I stopped using Edge on PC because it starts in background hogging my CPU when I'm using battery. I was using FF actively and FF Quantum really helped with battery life too.. so I ditched Edge. And last part was, any flaw disclosed by Project Zero or similar would require full update from MSFT's side along with OS fixes which might make things worse, if it was a separate app updatable through Store or as Win32 app then it is good.
Settings > Privacy > Background apps > Edge
Turn it off.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Settings > Privacy > Background apps > Edge
Turn it off.
No that's bad, it kills the entire background process and reloads all websites just like an android with less RAM. Windows version of background means, the apps stay resident without swapping or discarding tabs of any apps. I did that experiment on my phone early in 2015 when W10M came out and turned off background apps which Killed the missed call and messages/SMS notifications completely!!!
I'm already using Disallow Tab preload in group policy.

Reactions: Burrito

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.