Battle Storage solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Which one would you recommend and why? I seem to find Skydrive a bit slow but I am not so sure due to my connection speed itself.

any feedback is greatly appreciated

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Dropbox - faster, 2 GB
Google Drive - haven't tried, 5 GB
Sky Drive - slower, 7 GB
And I haven't tried any other storage solutions.
If you had time and wanted to store several gigabytes of data then use Sky Drive.
If you don't have time and only needed to store a few files then use Dropbox.
If you are wanting to make public downloadable files then go with SkyDrive because Dropbox will be removing the Public folder soon.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Malware Maniac said:
Dropbox - faster, 2 GB
Google Drive - haven't tried, 5 GB
Sky Drive - slower, 7 GB
And I haven't tried any other storage solutions.
If you had time and wanted to store several gigabytes of data then use Sky Drive.
If you don't have time and only needed to store a few files then use Dropbox.
If you are wanting to make public downloadable files then go with SkyDrive because Dropbox will be removing the Public folder soon.

I intend for personal usage only and it will vary between programs, pictures, documents etc. Also it is to note I am looking for free solution.

When you refer to the speed: is it download or upload?

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Biozfear said:
I intend for personal usage only and it will vary between programs, pictures, documents etc. Also it is to note I am looking for free solution.

When you refer to the speed: is it download or upload?

I only had SkyDrive for one day. I was uploading videos and think that SkyDrive was slower than Dropbox. But that is just my opinion.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I use box.com, main reason is because the 50gb I got from HP touchpad. It's quick for small uploads and downloads but larger files seem to switch to a slower speed.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Have to say Dropbox, is my pick. Works really well and it's free. If you refer people you get more space, which is a great thing.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
you could also check comodo cloud storage Free 5Gb

Edit
I personally use box.com since i have a 50gb free account and it seems fast for upload and download and has sharing options

P

Plexx

Thread author
box.com free 50GB account I suppose it is not for everyone right?

Stranger: I do have EHDD but problem is when I travel. Just the laptop is already quite some weight. Add that to 2 EHDD 2.5'', mouse, mouse mat, etc and you start seeing the weight.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
box.com free 50GB account I suppose it is not for everyone right?

Stranger: I do have EHDD but problem is when I travel. Just the laptop is already quite some weight. Add that to 2 EHDD 2.5'', mouse, mouse mat, etc and you start seeing the weight.
Hmm

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For work/business, I'd recommend Google Docs (soon to be Google Drive).

Never rely on an online service for backup. Never.

Travelling, have you considered using an encrypted USB stick (Sony have some minimal designs, but costly. Comes with EasyLock limited to some models, check if USB 3.0 or not).

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i use both skydrive and dropbox......both works great for me.....skydrive is little bit slow but i have 25 gb free space in skydrive :).....

P

Plexx

Thread author
I do have a 16gb usb lying around somewhere. Since most are game files etc, I dont think I need encryption, but in any case, whats a free encryption solution that is also portable?

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Biozfear said:
Malware Maniac said:
samit said:
skydrive is little bit slow but i have 25 gb free space in skydrive :).....

How'd you get 25 GBs?

Either paying or a giveaway or promotion of some sort.

actually it was free upgrade...i started using skydrive maybe about 2 years ago.....recently, a few months ago, microsoft gave free upgrade to 25gb to its existing windows live users....

I'm Me

Verified
Sep 14, 2013
I recently switched from Dropbox to Wuala. I like that it offers client-side encryption. I'm using the free package which gives you 5GB of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.