StreamArmor & ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formido

Thread author
Mar 30, 2014
Saw the review of 'StreamArmor' by Prorootect, and noticed the app has a 'delete stream' function. I've been researching ADS via Google, and most of what turns up is beyond me, so was wondering if anyone here can tell me if there is a good reason to allow any 'hidden alternate data streams' on my PC? My idea is to use StreamArmor to eliminate every ADS that I find. Is there any reason to not do this?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Formido.
The subject of ADS is fascinating. Here is an excerpt from what I found:
  • ADS was created for compatibility with the Mac world, it is not solely used for that purpose. Many applications use ADS to store attributes of a file in them. For example if you make a text document, and right click and go into its properties you will see a summary page. This summary information is attached to the file via ADS.

In summary, think of ADS as hidden files that are attached to the visible ones. The main reason they are so dangerous is that they are not well known, are generally hidden to the user, and that there are few security programs that can recognize them.
Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-alternate-data-streams/

Since this is a little known area (imho) therefore to use & test 'StreamArmor' along with reporting the effects (if any or many) from blocking Windows Alternate Data Streams (ADS) would definitely be something I would be interested in reading and learning more about.
Maybe we can apply the Chicken soup theory, "It couldn't hurt?o_O".

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.