Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Motherboard:China made :)P)
Processor:Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2.60
Hd:Samsung 512 GB
Ram:2 GB
Support :32 bit only.
Video:Intel G33/G31 Intel chipest family.

This is the machine of one of my friend and I amazed to see he is running win 7 on this specs without any problem with av installed on it :)D)

I have suggest him to move to other os as i feel his pc is slow.
He use pc for surfing and music.

Can you suggest an OS for this pc.

Thanks

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
It should run Windows 7 without any problems on that hardware, I would suggest Windows XP but as support stops on April 2014 you could try running Windows 7, and if you feel it is slow try Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Elementary OS

gone

Level 1
Jul 10, 2012
I am using the same config in one pc except for the motherboard is of intel. Windows 7 runs smooth. If its for surfing and hearing music no need to change windows 7 will do.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
win 7 will do with those settings. if you wanna go lighter you need to try ubuntu/linuxmint.

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
Win 8 run smoother than Win 7 in my second Home PC, but there is no prob. with win 7. Just use maintenance tools such as( Ccleaner, wise care ,advanced system care, etc) if you don't know how to do it by your self and it will be ok
[attachment=5756]

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 495

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
I also have 2gb ram + win 7 no problem you can take it some easy step to reduce pressure
1 Antivirus choose light like WSA or built in window defender is also good
2.Disable aero effect ,choose window to set best for performance instead appeance
3.Pendrive - I like the feature "readyboost" dedicated space for ram through pendrive ,yes it is actually in account of pagefile reading and not increasing the ram but at least it helps somehow :)
4.services.msc to disable some unneccesary or unneeded services.
5.Try autorun to disable is unneccesary startup item.
Also check if there is nothing wrong in any process taking too much ram or cpu as it should use .
It is ok to run win7 on this spec.

D

Deleted member 178

win8 is lighter than 7 and XP lighter than any other;

XP/win7 = more control of the OS (advanced users features)
Win7/Win8 = nicer design & security (so more resources usage than XP)

after it depends what you need.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IMO, Windows XP should not be recommended. Period.

Windows 7 SP1 should run fine, but if not I can suggest Pear OS as Ubuntu seemed quite heavy.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Windows 7 should run ok on this specs, but if I had to chose another os I would with Ubuntu or Linux Mint, both are free and will use a little ammount of memory. The downside is that you will need some time to adjust with the new operating system.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
You could try this:

Zorin OS

I have been using this for a while on a USB stick as a live os with persistent cache.

It is better of course to install it, and you can choose from 32, 64bit and a lite version.

I have tested myself a way to enter the Linux world and after testing about 15 dists, this is the one, hands down.

If you are used to Windows OS you will feel at home, you have a look changer were you can choose witch release of Windows it should look like.

Just use this little program and make yourself a bootable usb stick to install or run it from if you just want to check it out.

Bootable USB Stick

/W

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Thanks all for your reply
This pc belong to my friend and he is happy with win 7 and I think I should leave him with what he like to have on his pc.

P.S Windows 8 is not installing on his pc.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well if choosing different OS than Windows

Linux Mint is good

Lubuntu and Xubuntu are light with Lubuntu being lighter

lately i'v been running Linux Lite in a VM but it updates and installs apps a little different than others

all 4 are based after Ubuntu

Pear looks interesting also based after Ubuntu i'll have to give it a go next :)

openSUSE would be another one

Linux has a different learning curve and is not Windows thats for sure but can work for basic needs with less
chance of getting a virus on

some friends of mine like it that i installed on there pc most do not because it's not Windows and thay are lost lol

thanks

James

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.