Battle Suggestion for Free AV

grrr

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
Hello All,
i'm looking for suggestion on a Free AV
I have gone through recent threads here on the same topic, but as my needs are different, I thought of creating a thread for myself.

I'm not a novice user. I don't click each and every link that comes my way :p

My Config
Windows7 64bit
4GB RAM or less considering that I'll be using a virtual OS. total RAM is 8GB
Core i5 5300U/2.3Ghz CPU

My needs
Ability to control settings example exclusions, action on detection
Ability to manually update
Must work well with MBAM real-time

Requirements
Must have Behavior-Based Detection, heuristics, web protection
May have few nags but not to the level of irritation :LOL:
Should work offline without internet - not cloud dependent
Should not auto-upload any file without asking me :mad:
May have ransomware protection, but not mandatory
Should not have any of these - Anti-Theft, Cleaning utility, File Encryption, parental Control, Webcam Protection, Vulnerability Scan, Anti-Phishing & Anti-Fraud, Password Manager, Online Banking Protection, Wi-Fi Security Advisor, VPN ;)

I have been using Avast Free on an old system, but stopped updating the program as there have been issues reported on their forum after each update. For now I just keep updating the definitions.

I don't have any experience with other Free AVs

Thanks,
Grr

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
your current setup is fine. Just keep Avast and add a few more programs to harden your system
Avast is properly the best AV which suits your requirements
Should not auto-upload any file without asking me :mad:
avast automatically uploads samples. But you can stop it by disabling Cybercapture
by default, avast will upload files which are quarantined, when updates the signatures. You can prevent this by emptying the virus chest/quanrantine for it updates

so far, I found version 18.2 (latest) the most stable so far

my recommendations:
1/ Use avast default settings, disable cybercapture (because you probably don't want it) - enable hardened mode aggressive
2/ download novirusthanks syshardener portable -> run the 64bit version -> apply changes
3/ download this registry and apply it -> it will block execution of windows script host and java, which avast is not good at. If you want to unblock,download and run the second file
Dropbox - block java&wsh.reg

Dropbox - unblock wsh java.reg

4/ you can block avast's nags by blocking the outbound connection of "avastui.exe" using your firewall
5/ you can remove all avast's craps by just installing just File shield, web shield and behavior shield

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
If you're having issues with avast then you can use bitdefender free or Kaspersky free or the good old MSE, both are good and easy to use. For some additional protection you can use voodooshield on auto pilot mode. Keeping the system and programs up to date along with the AV will keep you pretty safe.

Reactions: tonibalas

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
i'm looking for suggestion on a Free AV
My Config
Windows7 64bit

I would use Windows Defender if you are using Malwarebytes premium and install Comodo firewall if you are serious about free heuristics
I would use Windows Defender too!

@Windows Defender Shill @askalan
Windows Defender on Windows 7 (or older) is not an Antivirus software - it's a basic Antispyware and not effective against today's threats.

Although you are better off with a third-party AV, you may be able to use Microsoft Security Essentials. Not sure if it's still maintain and supported on Windows 7.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
FortiClient w/VoodooShield.. It should suite all of your needs, and you can configure the heck out of it in the CONF file.
Forticlient doesn't have BB( Fails to remove some detected malware )..voodooshield is Dependent online..a cloud based scanner + Lock (in my opinion..works on whitelist (May not taste that good)..#Crystal Security is probably a bit matured and powerful than it...so neither of above solves him purpose as he requires BB+ Offline protection + Heuristics...
Zone Alarm Free may be an alternative(If your OK with once db update)*NO Heuristics* #

Last edited:

holst

Level 1
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Like you I use Windows 7, untill now with MSE. It is easily the lightest and most uncomplicated AV for Windows 7 esp when you have 4 gig of ram. The additional security can be found with ublock origin and/ or policy control extension and the like, or adding the free Sandboxie for dangerous surfing. I have high praises for the free K9 webfilter. It is very light and yet very effective in blocking all sorts of nasty websites. Combine that with Macrium Reflect free or another imaging program and you are good to go.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.