Suggestions for keeping a clean pc?

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I will be doing a complete reformat of my computer and will have a new setup. Part of the reason is because of tons of junk on my pc. Not malware, just usless stuff I dont use or that were accidentally copied. Some of it is stuff that stayed from uninstalled programs. Are there other system cleaning tools that I should use in combination with CCleaner? Or am I just not using CCleaner properly?

Reactions: NikolayfromRussia

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I will be doing a complete reformat of my computer and will have a new setup. Part of the reason is because of tons of junk on my pc. Not malware, just usless stuff I dont use or that were accidentally copied. Some of it is stuff that stayed from uninstalled programs. Are there other system cleaning tools that I should use in combination with CCleaner? Or am I just not using CCleaner properly?
CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller should be enough. You can clean your PC with Glary Utilities as well.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I use WiseCare with CCleaner, but if you want just disk cleaner.

Wise Disk Cleaner - Free Disk Cleanup and Defrag Tool

DriverStore Explorer [RAPR] - Home removes old drivers.

I also use this for an additional cleanup:

Code:
fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
chkdsk /scan
winmgmt /salvagerepository
net stop msiserver
del "C:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
del "D:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
del "E:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
del "%temp%\*" /s /f /q
del "%systemroot%\temp\*" /s /f /q
del "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache" /s /f /q
del "%WINDIR%\Logs\*" /s /f /q
del "%WINDIR%\System32\winevt\Logs\*" /s /f /q
rmdir %WINDIR%\Installer\$PatchCache$ /s /q
vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The best way to keep your PC fresh and clean is by using a system image utility such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei.
Every time you want to uninstall something, you just revert your system to an image made before you installed that software.

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

best way to keep PC clean is to list all needed software before fresh install windows and don't add any new software. ( then no utility or optimizer needed )

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I use Rollback Rx. Used to use CCleaner, but I didn't find it that effective. Much like how people use disk images to just reimage the PC, I prefer Rollback as it's better for the health of the HDD/SSD.

In CCleaner you can define folder paths beyond the default ones that you want cleaned. It isn't going to be practical compared to doing a manual cleanup or clean install of the OS. You would have to define a bunch of folder paths.

There is no cleanup utility that will keep it squeaky clean and perky as a clean install of the OS. The best method to keep a limber system is to not install programs, don't orhpan them and forget to uninstall them, and check your system occasionally. A clean install now and then isn't a bad idea.

As others have pointed out, restoring a clean image is the most convenient method.

Reactions: LukeLovesSecurity

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.