Super Mario Run Requires a Persistent Internet Connection Due to Piracy Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Super Mario Run Requires a Persistent Internet Connection Due to Piracy Concerns

We're less than a week away from the big Super Mario Run launch on the iOS platform and the series creator, Shigeru Miyamoto, was kind enough to share some previously unknown details about the upcoming game.

During an interview with Mashable, Miyamoto has revealed the Super Mario Run will require a persistent Internet connection in order to play. This means that you must be connected to the Internet during your playing session, otherwise the game will not work.

Super Mario Run will launch in about 150 countries on December 15, but it will only be available on iOS devices. Nintendo fans will be able to purchase the game for $9.99 via App Store. It's also worth mentioning that an Android version of the game will be launched next year.

If you wonder why Nintendo has decided to launch Super Mario Run on the iOS platform initially, the answer is pretty simple: piracy.

The security element is one of the reasons that we decided to go with iPhone and iOS first. So this is just - based on the current development environment - a requirement that's been built into the game to support security and the fact that the three different modes are connecting to the network and interacting with one another,” explains Shigeru Miyamoto.

Nintendo's official went on to explain that when he's saying “security,” he's actually referring to the risk of piracy. Since the game won't be available just in those countries where Nintendo is officially selling its products, it would be very hard to control the level of piracy.

Although Nintendo wanted to make the story mode playable offline, the Japanese company said it was overly complicated to make it work correctly since the other two modes, Toad Rally and Kingdom, have been specifically designed to work online.

So, because these two modes are also relying on the network save, Nintendo had to integrate the World Tour mode as well, which means all three modes included in Super Mario Run will require persistent Internet connection.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
If Nintendo wonders why I have decided not to buy Super Mario Run on the iOS platform, the answer is pretty simple: Intractable Stupidity.

It's just like the rest of the entertainment industry, they'll never learn. On top, Nintendo has always resisted learning from third parties, so they are oblivious to even consider other developers' experiences.

When I decided to finally buy movies on DVD, I was greeted by several minute long clips informing me about piracy that couldn't be skipped, so it had to be watched every single time before the movie itself. When I decided to pay for streaming on Netflix and Hulu, they either didn't want my money or offered like a third of their flicks, because I'm an evil customer guilty of living outside the U.S.

Now, while the Internet may feel ubiquitous, it sure isn't, especially not all over the world. Even if it were, I will not accept unfounded restrictions as a paying customer.

Jailbreaking has been on the decline in general and you can't install pirated apps without it. Also, people who use pirated apps wouldn't pay for them otherwise anyways. In the end, they'll find a way, though.

Since this basically only hurts people who pay, I'll gladly refuse to be a part of this. Nice move, Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.