Surfshark adds WireGuard protocol

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
On Tuesday (October 20th), the budget-friendly VPN announced that the protocol is now available for users of its Android, iOS, Windows and Mac applications.

Writing in a media release, the company said the open source protocol would "significantly improve VPN speeds" and pointed out that it is "faster than the widespread OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPSec protocols"
According to Surfshark, many other protocols are made up of around 400,000 lines of code. Yet when compared to OpenVPN and IPsec, Wireguard is comprised of just 1% of their total code.

Surfshark said this not only makes security audits "significantly more efficient", but means the protocol is "less susceptible to security vulnerabilities, as it's easier to manage and configure."
Via Surfshark boosts protocol offering with new Wireguard support

Blog: Fast and clutter-free WireGuard protocol is now live on Surfshark - Surfshark

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I've subscribed to Surfshark but do not see an option in the protocol drop down list. Is Wireshark automatically selected?

Reactions: JB007 and Nevi

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Some apps and Programms get timeouts while on wireguard with surfshark.

Not sure why the exact same apps and stuff work on open vpn and ikev via surfshark.

The support also promises me weekly since wireguard was added that they look into it and get back to me within 1 day but they never got back to me multiple times now seems like the support is only existent as far as the live chat can handle stuff.

Atleast it's fast and nice for my conn.

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
I've decided against SurfShark. Seemed a bit sketchy the more I looked into it. My PIA sub expires in about three weeks, so I've been trying out WeVPN the last couple of weeks. So far no problems at all. Let's me watch UK Netflix and BBC iPlaver without issue, along with the usual streaming sites - Netflix Amazon Prime and Hulu. Works with all of them so far. Could be a keeper. I'll know more by the end of year. But so far no complaints.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I like to use different VPNs for different purposes.

For instance VPN Unlimited (which Stack Social are more or less giving away if you use their Black Friday discount code) is great for unlocking overseas streaming services. However, I wouldn't trust it for privacy or security purposes.
Services like Mullvad are going to be much better from a privacy point of view and are best for everyday use.
Windscribe has lots of great features and works very well from a security perspective.

It also worth remembering that nobody is really checking whether these VPNs keep logs or not. I don't necessarily believe the privacy statements on the VPN companies websites. It makes sense that they collect some information when you log in- as a minimum, they need to make sure that you are a piad user of the service and where your connection is coming from. (ie if there are multiple locations from all over the world, then its a sure sign that your account is being abused so there will certainly be ways of detecting that).

Personally, I prefer the VPNs of well-known European security companies (F-Secure, Avira etc). I am more inclined to trust what they say as
a) they have a reputaion to protect
b) you can identify who they are and where they are based, and
c) their software likely to be better engineered and updated compared to some no-name developer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.