New Update Surfshark VPN now has Dedicated IP Address

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Besides having Static IP address (free), Surfshark is now having Dedicated IP address. FI, some other VPN providers also have Dedicated IP address.

A Surfshark dedicated IP is a private VPN IP address, which belongs to you, and only you.

Purchasing the Dedicated IP address will allow you to receive your own Surfshark IP address, which is not reachable by other Surfshark users, and there are a few benefits to this:

- Works with all protocols. You don't have to choose between website speed and a fixed IP. Our Dedicated IP works with all our protocols, even WireGuard®, for maximum speed.

- No more Captcha requests. Captcha requests are a common issue while using a standard VPN, as a lot of users might be using the same IP address as you are, this Google prompting you Captcha requests. A dedicated IP instantly solves this issue, as websites no longer receive multiple requests.

- Better network performance. While using a dedicated IP, your network should become quicker than while using a normal VPN server, as for a dedicated IP you will be the only person generating traffic.

- Greater security and privacy. As you are the only one using the IP address, there is a far lesser chance of malicious traffic.

- Eases accessing remote networks. Assessing networks remotely with a shared VPN server is tricky since you never know what address you'll get whenever you connect. That's not an issue with a dedicated static IP.

1681656626564.png

For now, it's available on Windows

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I have had issues with OVPN VPN It seems due (seems no other IP's available) to the IP being blacklisted meaning I can't access some much needed sites as in some BBC - I bought a static IP for a few months I found out later unfortunately static IP only works using OpenVPN with OVPN & not Wireguard which slowed my speed dramaticly so I've moved to another VPN, which is a pity - Good to see SurfShark runs a static with Wireguard.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
It seems due (seems no other IP's available) to the IP being blacklisted meaning I can't access some much needed sites as in some BBC
This will always be a problem with Vpn's. Sites will just blacklist IP addresses when they discover abuse. Now you can buy a dedicated IP from a Vpn provider but how do you know it's clean? How do you know it's not reused and dirty? Dedicated IP's really take away the security and privacy of using a Vpn and mixing your traffic with others on the server. And in the end, you should probably use and rent a VPS and setup your own wiireguard/openvpn instance if you want a dedicated IP.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
May I ask this question in here:
Is using a Dedicated IP Address of a VPN, necessary on the phone or its best to use it on a computer?

Reactions: EascapenMatrix

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
May I ask this question in here:
Is using a Dedicated IP Address of a VPN, necessary on the phone or its best to use it on a computer?

There are some disadvantages in using a dedicated IP address. One is cost. The other is using a dedicated IP address is that it still allows your identity to be determined when searching the web. If privacy is your chief concern when browsing the web, you’ll want to get a shared IP address via a VPN instead.

Surfing the web generally with greater privacy would better be off with a multihop VPN. For specific purpose surfing, use a VPN's dedicated IP address

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@upnorth
I use VPN all the time, all day, I haven't gotten any Static IP from my own ISP. But I use my VPN with its "Dedicated IP" not static IP one.
In which situations you recommend first getting a static IP from my ISP, first? Thank you.

Reactions: Trident

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
There are some disadvantages in using a dedicated IP address. One is cost. The other is using a dedicated IP address is that it still allows your identity to be determined when searching the web. If privacy is your chief concern when browsing the web, you’ll want to get a shared IP address via a VPN instead.

Surfing the web generally with greater privacy would better be off with a multihop VPN. For specific purpose surfing, use a VPN's dedicated IP address
"If you use a dedicated IP from a "no logging" VPN provider, you are not private and are being deceived."

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

Thank you for the info. I also found this video very much helpful:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
If one actually need/must have a static dedicated IP 24/7, check with the ISP ( internet service provider ) as otherwise I personal wouldn't use a VPN to begin with.
The VPN novelty is starting to wear off for me. I disabled it on my home network PCs as the emails, the prompts of, "is that really you trying to connect from" etc. IMO, is causing more grief than "privacy" benefit. The final straw was when I opened my Authy desktop app and saw it had me (my account) registered in Dallas Texas, a VPN connection that was going when I installed it. When I'm on a public network with my phone, then I'll use it.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The VPN novelty is starting to wear off for me
It hasn’t started wearing off for criminals though, they are the ones largely benefitting from VPNs. I personally never use VPN, I tried few times to access the US-based Netflix but it didn’t work so I stopped using VPN and I stopped using Netflix as well.
I have generous roaming in 83 destinations and wherever I go, I am always connected to network, never connect to any public wi-fi.

I am not afraid of my ISP/carrier knowing what I search/access, it’s nothing dark or out of the ordinary 😀

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
lol, yes, my ISP would be a little bored with me, too. "Hey Frank, look, he's on that MalwareTips forum again" :) :) I know it doesn't go like that :)
You know for the spooks it would be more like "Hey Frank, he's on MalwareTips again, better add him to the extremist database, oh and he likes posting about country music and has a cat avatar so maybe he's a home grown extreme right terrorist, Frank better bug his house, get on it!!!".

:oops:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If one actually need/must have a static dedicated IP 24/7, check with the ISP ( internet service provider ) as otherwise I personal wouldn't use a VPN to begin with.
Hi, I read this:
"Users who create and host servers are among those who benefit most from a static IP address. They are the preferred choice for businesses who need to assign email and other dedicated services. Static IP addresses are a great choice when you’re connecting via VPN as well."

Does this mean that if I have a Static IP from my ISP first, then my connection to a VPN would be also better?

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hi, I read this:
"Users who create and host servers are among those who benefit most from a static IP address. They are the preferred choice for businesses who need to assign email and other dedicated services. Static IP addresses are a great choice when you’re connecting via VPN as well."
Busy bee elsewhere as noticed that I been missing out on the alerts, but I see you more or less found an answer on your first question so I gonna skip that. The video, weird one and I didn't watch it all because his compare statements with pros and cons made very little sense. Static IPs with a VPN is more of a market pitch, and as I mentioned first, if it is possible, use one with your ISP instead because as a home user, you already pay for the main connection with your ISP.

Does this mean that if I have a Static IP from my ISP first, then my connection to a VPN would be also better?
Not necessarily, but best answer you will get from your own personal ISP. Normally it is possible to get a test period, but it's a huge difference depending on where in the world you live. It can be very hard or many times impossible to switch/change a ISP.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Busy bee elsewhere as noticed that I been missing out on the alerts, but I see you more or less found an answer on your first question so I gonna skip that. The video, weird one and I didn't watch it all because his compare statements with pros and cons made very little sense. Static IPs with a VPN is more of a market pitch, and as I mentioned first, if it is possible, use one with your ISP instead because as a home user, you already pay for the main connection with your ISP.

Not necessarily, but best answer you will get from your own personal ISP. Normally it is possible to get a test period, but it's a huge difference depending on where in the world you live. It can be very hard or many times impossible to switch/change a ISP.

I live in one of restricted regions, where social networking and streaming websites are blocked by ISPs.
So, use of a VPN is a must for me, at least to use YouTube to educate myself a bit more.
I agree with you about what you mention as a market pitch. But I was thinking that I would get less CAPTCHAs, less security warnings.
Question: Could the word "gimmick" be another synonym for "market pitch" ; as you mentioned here?

I will think about getting a Static IP from my ISP and see if I get connected to my Dedicated IP address better.
Because:
Sometimes it happens that with my VPN, with normal server, I get connected to it promptly, but when I try to connect to the Dedicated IP server in my VPN, I cannot get connected.
In this case, turning the modem off and on again, would help, most of the time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.