Advice Request Survey: Which Web Browser Do Users Trust?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Survey: Which Web Browser Do Users Trust?

Most users chose Firefox, but what browser do you trust?
For the past three years, security vendor Sophos has been asking users "Which web browser do you trust?" and making the results available on their blog every October.

The results for the 2015 edition of this poll are in, and as in the previous two years, the winner is once again Firefox with 41% of the 3,928 votes.

Second on the list is Google Chrome with 21%, followed by Opera with 16%, and Safari with 8%, closely reproducing the poll's results from previous years.

Other browsers that also got votes include Tor with 6%, Internet Explorer with 3%, Chromium and Microsoft Edge, both with 2%.
Ironically, Tor is less trusted than Firefox
Weird is the fact that Tor, the browser made famous by Edward Snowden, the last bastion of privacy and security in the world of Web browsing products, scored only 6%, much less than Sophos (and we) anticipated, 2015 being the first year when Tor was added to the poll.

While Tor is the browser of choice for journalists, national dissidents, and any international man of mystery, the browser, despite the plethora of security-focused features, has failed to attract new users to its side.

The poll is in no way indicative of how popular browsers are, and as the Browser Trust Gap table seen below shows, many users that have visited the poll page with one browser ended up voting for another browser.
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.10.19_15h16m32s_001_.png

As you can see, Chrome, the world's most used browser, according to almost every browser usage statistics around, has yet to capture the hearts of its users.

According to the data, Chrome has a -19.6% browser trust gap, meaning that, from the total of 40.78% of users that voted in the poll (via Chrome), 19.6% of them voted for another browser.

We would have expected this to happen for Internet Explorer, but not for Chrome. The simplest explanation for this trend is the fact that Chrome is developed by Google, a company that has recently ditched its long-lasting company motto of "Don't be evil!"

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I'd trust to Safari because, AFAIK it has no direct connections to Google, and Google-funded companies. And I do not think that Apple and its products store and sell THAT much data like Chrome, IE, Edge etc.

I was going to pick Firefox but their latest moves (including "personal-choice-based" friendly ads, "hello" thingy etc.) showed that they really are in need of money/funds. That do result with having some data collections of their users, or maybe allowing other plug-ins and 3rd party companies to have them avoiding the name of Mozilla.

I have to add that, there is really no privacy while we are connected to Internet. In every step we take to connect, there is someone or something behind that stores our data.. ISP -> OS -> most of AVs and Softwares with network outbounds -> Browsers -> Extensions -> Webpages etc...

For the sake of security over privacy, I use Chrome. Because : more users -> faster bug fixes and no security holes/breaches. I already gave up and have no hope for the utopia called "Privacy". I am a simple man, got nothing to fear or no special-cases for the internet ;)

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I trust them all equally as they all take data and do with it as they please. Anonymous or not doesn't make it any less my data. As such I go to the browser that supports the latest web technologies to the bleeding edge, is most stable (multiple processes = good in my eyes - don't complain out several processes, it's a good thing), and has the speed required to make the web feel light like it always should be. That browser would of course be Chrome or browser based on Blink engine like Vivaldi (which I will be using when it's in beta/final).

As long as the browser is supported by developer(s) and community to a high degree, has no spyware, adware, malware, etc, I feel I can trust it enough to use it.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Pale Moon
I voted other as I 'trust' Pale Moon browser the most (a x64 portable version) :) which I think stems from our long ongoing relationship with Firefox. My wife singularly utilizes the Great Orange Fox which runs like a champ on our Windows 7 SP 1. Cyberfox x64 additionally scores high on my personal list of Mozilla sourced/gecko based browsers with SeaMonkey, representing the latest generation Netscape Navigator (I'm using it now) rounding up the last of the Firefox-like browsers with which we enjoy browsing (with a degree of trust) as long as they are opened in a sandbox!:p
Besides Chrome (I would have checked multiple choices if allowed) I browse more often on the Blink rendered Chromium Browser Slimjet. Perhaps there's a bit of a rebel in me, but more so my feeling is that up & coming developers have greater freedoms to be purely focused in choosing a clearer direction.

I agree with OokamiCreed's points: "..supports the latest web technologies to the bleeding edge, is most stable,...no spyware, adware, or malware."

My personal prerequisite is development must be current as well as conscientiously maintained,:cool: the strong point of which was the gravity of this subject that originally brought me to MalwareTips. Thank you Littlebits, wherever you are!:):)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I have to admit that Firefox being an open source project somewhat advantage since privacy is one of the concern by majority of users and as possible they should follow the voice of what's better.

Microsoft and Google as big companies must not be surprise for what actual action do they have in privacy matters.

Privacy may influence the decision by users to choose a practical browser but not dramatically, cause as always performance and security reason is way to go. As far as concern; privacy must not contain any below the belt conditions.

D

Deleted member 178

I use chromex64 personally, the safest in term of security , and fastest to fix potential flaws. I dont mind about privacy issues , i just untick some options.

I rather prefer a multicorporation owning some of my datas in secured servers than a small browser company without real policies where an employee can access my datas anytime...

Anyway the first privacy issue you encounter is from your ISP that record everything you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.