Suspect ELF/Linux Executables

Maikuolan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

I've got a small handful of ELF/Linux executables that someone has sent to me to take a look at that they suspect to be malicious, but, I don't currently have access to a Linux machine or virtual environment to be able to actually run them to confirm one way or the other as to whether they're malicious or benign.

Most online sandboxes available that I'm aware of are focused towards Windows/PE executables (Malwr, Hybrid Analysis, Anubis, etc), and so, won't be of any use for where ELF files are concerned.

I've scanned them all using Virus Total, and they're all FUD, but, searching for information about them on Google (such as via filename, MD5/SHA1/SHA256 hash and etc) brings up almost zero information and isn't particularly helpful.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Caleb M / Maikuolan.

Reactions: LabZero

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.