Suspect software developer in google app store

Freddl

Thread author
May 31, 2023
Hello everybody,
i was looking for the official Android Freevee App and came across a shady developer in the google app store:
Code:
https://play.google.com /store/apps/developer?id=Collartrain&pli=1
Unfortunately i installed the app and opened it before i realised it was fake and uninstalled it.

Is there a way to check what potentially malicious activities this app performs or got more details about this app? (No installed mobile virusscan detected a match but my main concern is an exploit which may be undedectable for common scanners)

For now no other apps are being installed and i also see no other anomalies, but maybe you got more information what i may dealing with.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Fred

Freddl

Thread author
May 31, 2023
Hi, thanks for you reply.
My phone got the latest provider security patches (1.2.2023) installed. The app did not ask for any permissions.
Can i be sure to get rid of any potential malware then wiping / reset the phone?

Thank you,
Fred

Reactions: Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The app did not ask for any permissions which is a good sign but your latest provider patches from February are now few months old. This leaves some chance for exploit. I would recommend you ensure all important information is backed up and then you reset the phone. This will definitely get rid of the malware.

To prevent this incident from happening in the future, before downloading an app, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Is this app needed? Do you have similar app that can provide this functionality? Or maybe you can do it on the web?
  2. Have you heard of the app and developer? If not, stay away.
  3. Upon Googling the developer, is there any information about them?
  4. Does it include ads? If yes, it is unlikely to provide great experience.
The developer you’ve linked here is unknown and the apps are not popular at all.

Freddl

Thread author
May 31, 2023
Thanks for your reply, i in this case i will reset my phone. Just to be on the safe side. (as long as this isn't resiliant against resets)

Reactions: Trident

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.