Symantec Endpoint Protection Client contains a kernel pool overflow vulnerability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Symantec Endpoint Protection Client 11.x and 12.x contains a kernel pool overflow vulnerability.

CWE-788: Access of Memory Location After End of Buffer

An attacker logged into a Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8 system as an unprivileged user is able to cause a kernel pool overflow in the sysplant driver with specially crafted IOCTL code. The sysplant driver is part of the Application and Device Control functionality in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client 11.x and 12.x. This feature is enabled by default in SEP client 11.x and 12.x.

here. A patch is now available, the new version is SEP 12.1.4112.4156.

If the patch is unavailable or cannot be installed, consider the following workaround:

Disable the Vulnerable Driver
By default, SEP has Application and Device Control enabled and loads the sysplant driver. Disabling the driver will prevent an attack from being successful, although it will marginally reduce the effectiveness of SEP. Note that the sysplant driver is still loaded if Application and Device Control is disabled either through the SEP client or via policy from the Symantec Endpoint Manager. Disabling the driver via a registry edit and rebooting the system will force it to unload the sysplant driver.

Follow these instructions on Symantec's site to disable the sysplant driver. The sysguard driver does not need to be disabled to mitigate this vulnerability.

Learn More)[/paste:font]
VendorStatusDate NotifiedDate Updated
SymantecAffected22 Jul 201401 Aug 2014
If you are a vendor and your product is affected, let us know.Learn More)[/paste:font]
GroupScoreVector
Base6.8AV:L/AC:L/Au:S/C:C/I:C/A:C
Temporal6.1E:F/RL:W/RC:C
Environmental4.6CDP:N/TD:M/CR:ND/IR:ND/AR:ND
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103259

D

Deleted member 178

I am concerned because i use SEP but in same time i am not because i back it with 2 awsome softs that will prevent that attack ^^

Reactions: Thunderbold
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.