App Review Symantec Endpoint Protection

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
SEP is the enterprise version of Symantec/Norton.
Symantec is a well-known American company, much to the credit of its consumer antivirus product, Norton.
In this video, I've modified a few settings as I found the configuration rather sluggish...
The protection is very good, but won't end up with a clean PC...

Interface: 5/10

SEP's interface is really old-fashioned... I don't like it.
It's certainly complete, but a refresh would have been better.
On the other hand, in terms of settings, SEP is very complete!
I've deliberately modified a few settings, as the default settings seem rather flabby...

Protection:10/10 Web / Fake crack 1/1 Malware Pack : Remaining 24 out of 1019

Symantec has an excellent anti-malware engine, that's a fact!
But it really struggles to effectively block VBS and JS scripts that may have installed infections without reacting...
SEP is also incapable of blocking bloated malware, which is a shame.
Apart from that, protection is excellent.

Result :
SEP : 0
NPE : 4
KVRT : 4

Recommand :Yes
System Clean : Infected but can be easily disinfected

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
Nice test, it seems that Symantec improved signature detection, that may be because the acquisition of Avira, the protection overall seems to be good but I wouldn't use it (I wouldn't use Norton as is the home user edition).
By the way regarding the interface I disagree with you as I do like it, I like this old interfaces, sadly they ended when Windows 8 was released.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Nice test, it seems that Symantec improved signature detection, that may be because the acquisition of Avira, the protection overall seems to be good but I wouldn't use it (I wouldn't use Norton as is the home user edition).
By the way regarding the interface I disagree with you as I do like it, I like this old interfaces, sadly they ended when Windows 8 was released.
Why no use Norton ?, is good product

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
Why no use Norton ?, is good product
First of all I wouldn't use it because before buying a product, I would try the free trial in my computer, but Norton requires credit card and I don't want to submit my credit card information for a free trial, so I don't use products that require that.
Second, even without the first one, I don't want the criptominer thing in my PC, yes it's turn off by default but…Until when?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
First of all I wouldn't use it because before buying a product, I would try the free trial in my computer, but Norton requires credit card and I don't want to submit my credit card information for a free trial, so I don't use products that require that.
Second, even without the first one, I don't want the criptominer thing in my PC, yes it's turn off by default but…Until when?
Can expired visa pre-paid card use to fill out the credit card info?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

There is no more cryptominer in Norton products.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Couple quick tips. First after you emptied the executable folder, you should right click properties to show its empty.
2nd you should manually go to places to see if these detection's are not just indeed traces left as many solutions do a terrible job removing all of the malware. The traces themselves could still be detectable while inert. While it would be ideal to have them fully cleaned, it is not always the case. Just as file damage caused by the malware and cleaning takes place most times.

I have to agree that the GUI could use a little polish at this point, looks quite outdated.

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
: Infected but can be easily disinfected. Shadowra, can you explain how it can easily be disinfected?

Disinfection tools only detect traces. I have determined that disinfection is easy because no malware is currently active. There are still remnants of a Java malware, another malware, and the inflated malware's .exe that are not active. :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You can use the unmanaged version for free. You don't need a credit card.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
First of all I wouldn't use it because before buying a product, I would try the free trial in my computer, but Norton requires credit card and I don't want to submit my credit card information for a free trial, so I don't use products that require that.........
Try this, if you're looking for a Norton trial without a credit card. ✌️

Norton 360 - 90-day free license​

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
The managed version of SEP complete provides better protection but unmanaged SEP is the same like Norton. Settings are similar with minor exceptions. The firewall and reputation checks are more flexible in SEP.
But what about the signature base? Avira avast and Avg. Norton LifeLock and Broadcom are separate entities. This question has me confused

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
But what about the signature base? Avira avast and Avg. Norton LifeLock and Broadcom are separate entities. This question has me confused
Norton just has a contract with Accenture/Broadcom/Symantec under which the STAR division (Symantec Technology and Research) is maintained. Both companies together perform the creation of protection methods and provide funding. I am not aware of any protection methods being borrowed from Avast and Avira in Norton products or SEP. There are detections that indeed look like Avira (the pdf phishing is one of them), they may have filled some minor gaps. I also don’t believe any threat data is exchanged between Avast, Avira and Norton.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
If you want norton alternative You can use an unmanaged of sep

personally I prefer Kaspersky as an AV (filter )
as it has less false positives in my testing and is less buggy
Anyway you should definitely probably get default deny solution if you care about security or setup the av in a default deny configuration

most simple to use free default deny product is comodo firewall but it's buggy and doesn't have enough people using it to report false positives
so you may have some flase positives depends on the software you install

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
The managed version of SEP complete provides better protection but unmanaged SEP is the same like Norton. Settings are similar with minor exceptions. The firewall and reputation checks are more flexible in SEP.
It's just norton without bloatware and a few more settings you can modify
nowadays Norton is seriously aggressive with credit card requirements and promotional material I would probably use sep instead

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.