Symantec Norton Security

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

What is your personal opinion of Symantec Norton Security?

• 5 - Outstanding

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • 4 - Very Good

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • 3 - Good

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 2 - Average

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 1 - Bad

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Product name
Symantec Norton Security
Pros
  • 1.) All-in-one program
    2.) Very lightweight, you can hardly notice it!
    3.) Excellent signatures with SONAR heuristics and cloud protection
    4.) A reasonable price compared to other vendors
    5.) 100% Virus free guarantee, if we don't keep you virus free then your money back.
    6.) Constant and automated 'Safe Web' collecting and scanning websites every second and adding them to a blacklist with billions of websites, whitelisted and blacklisted
    7.) Friendly customer support
    8.) Performance features
    9.) Self protection features
    10.) Download insight which prevents zero-day and zero-hour malware (with SONAR)
    11.) Detects tracking cookies
    12.) Fast scanning speed
CONS
1.) Quite a few false positives
2.) Performance features not as effective as others
BOTTOM LINE
5 Stars, the good outlays the bad by far here. I recommend you check out other reviews to make informed decisions on which security programs to use.
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Thanks for reading, please feel free to ask questions or give opinions below also you can give YOUR opinion of this product in the poll above.

Please specify why you choose your rating on the poll.

The poll will close on Mar 5, 2016 at 3:06 PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Please specify why you choose your rating on the poll.

Reactions: Rishi

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
How is norton at blocking zero-day ransomware? (not in signatures). A friend of mine got infected

Reactions: CySecy825
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I rated very good..4 stars.

Overall Norton is a solid product. Online protection is excellent. I think Sonar is Norton Cloud Behavior Blocker, right? Offline protection is signs only. I do think offline Behavior Blocker too should be there & would be good.

IMHO Norton is one of the best automatic product with excellent & effective overall protection And one of the few security product with all the layers effective. Default settings are very good And excellent & recommended product especially for novice/average users.

And I do think all the security software should provide custom install too. Why dont they provide custom install option?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have used Symantec prior to NS and during NS. Back in the days, before using avast (v4 i believe) and NOD32, Norton Antivirus was what I used.

Over the years they have improved, just like any other vendor.

Voted good as there is no pros and cons in my opinion for this or any other vendor. One can never compare an av solution to another since none use the same core mechanics.

Does it work? yes. Does it have FPs? yes but so does other solutions.

On a side note, why did you list the following as a CON?
Performance features not as effective as others

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Norton Security is a near perfect security software for average users, in my eyes it has only two flaws.

1- It doesnt have a "ask to remove" for "normal" threats (only for low risk)
2- It still needs a security toolbar and extension to provide phishing/web protection.

I remember when NS was in beta stage, Symantec promissed this:

Smarter plugin-less browser protection
Web browsers allow for new functions, or extensions, to be added. This allowed us to create security extensions for common web browsers. Unfortunately, this same extensibility also allows attackers easier access to deliver unwanted toolbars and redirect web traffic. To make them less prone to this, browsers increasingly restrict plug-ins and extensions. So we totally rebuilt several Norton security features in this Beta release to work outside of the traditional browser plug-in architecture. This increases the scalability of browser protection, enabling our customers to continue to use features like Norton Safe Web and Norton Web Protection without having to worry about browser plug-ins

Yet We still need to have active extensions to provide full protection.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Why did you list the following as a CON?
Performance features not as effective as others.
Their performance features (defragmenter and disk cleanup) are not that good compared to other options, their 'Disk Cleanup' just cleanes Internet Explorer history and Windows Temporary Files and their 'Defragmenter' isn't that useful.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
SONAR is a little slow in real time.
Although that is true, their signatures are amazing, their 'LiveUpdate' makes sure they are up-to date if something is not in their signatures then their firewall and download insight steps in, any suspicious connections the firewall will prevent and alert and if the files information is incolclusive or very new, download insight would alert. I hope that SONAR never has to used on my system - because of the other features, SONAR is a last resort.

C

CySecy825

Thread author
Their performance features (defragmenter and disk cleanup) are not that good compared to other options, their 'Disk Cleanup' just cleanes Internet Explorer history and Windows Temporary Files and their 'Defragmenter' isn't that useful.
Basic Windows Tools

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.