Symptoms of a Virus/Malware Infection

B

Brian

Thread author
Hi everyone,

I would like to share my new page with all of you. It's about common symptoms of a malware infection.

http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/virus-symptoms

I would appreciate any feedback. If I missed a symptom, please tell me. :)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Nice list geohac, I am happy that haven't seen any of these symptoms in a long time.

The only thing that I can think of that's not in the list, would be a disabled task bar but I guess that can be included under "Your programs won’t start".

Bo

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Good list....Cyber criminals are writing the malware to be as stealthily as possible these days...so it's possible to have a serious infection and not have any symptoms ..
Of course the majority of the malware will still generate a behavior like the one you have written about...so +1.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
You can add this:
* A disk utility such as Scandisk reports multiple serious disk errors.
* A partition disappears.
* The computer always stops responding when you try to use Microsoft Office products.
* There is a double extension on an attachment that you recently opened, such as a .jpg, .vbs, .gif, or .exe. extension.

B

Brian

Thread author
win7holic, those symptoms are too narrow in my opinion.

Jack, that's an excellent point. I hope it doesn't become the norm.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.