Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this issue.
I'm using Window 10 Home.
Lately I found a process in the task manager "System and compressed memory" has high RAM usage.
Previously I have never see this.
Now it kept increasing (now as 300.5MB RAM).

Wonder what does it do? and why is it increasing? Any idea to lower it down or is there a program that uses it?

I installed some security software this morning.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
As far as I know, it stores the memory that are otherwise be transferred to the page file. So, instead of being transferred to the page file, it is stored and compressed by the OS.

L

LabZero

As announced in the post "Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525" in the new version of the operating system was improved by managing memory using the Memory Management to perform compression of unused pages instead of writing them to disk as they did previously. Managing memory compression is handled by the System process whose working set will contain the store of compression which then will necessarily more space than previous versions of the OS. This will allow you to reduce the memory used by processes, maintaining multiple applications in physical memory and greater responsiveness of the OS.

This technique called Virtual memory compression (also known as RAM compression or memory compression) allows the data footprint reduction, in fact following a memory pressure on unused pages compression process allows you to free up memory and still keep those pages into memory, if necessary compressed pages can then be written to disk but thanks to the compressed format I/O operations will be less, and then performed in less time.

Memory Management (Windows)

Virtual memory compression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Thanks @XhenEd and @Klipsh
So it's considered normal?
I also realise it take some time to go down.
It does fluctuates up and down very frequently.

H

hjlbx

It is normal.

Microsoft 1st steps to completely eliminating pagefile.sys.

At some point in the future HDDs will be gone and SSDs will prevail + even low-end computers will have huge RAM - so at some point pagefile.sys will be obsolete.

W10 memory management speeds things up a bit and saves HDD grind.

Reactions: XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's a normal behavior, Microsoft implemented their improve memory management which reduce a lot of stress to what's typically done from previous operating system.

Since that problem mainly affect other applications to run very ease unless you have enough specifications for overcome those issues.

Reactions: LabZero and XhenEd

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I recently re-installed windows 10 and noticed the same issue but after a few days it settled down to around 50meg ram?

BTW does this mean page file can be disabled?

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I saw somewhere where there is a blog mentioning on how to optimise ur SSD performance. One of them related to pagesys thing.
I guess it is related to this one. If I remember correctly, you would need to go regedit.exe and change it.
I never try it though. Afraid :p

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
It is time to remove the last mechanical component residue in our PCs: the HDDs - and replace them with circuit-based storage units, also known as SSDs.
Once the SSDs become equivalent to or better than HDDs in price and capacity, then the HDD market share will slowly decline, and that pagefile.sys file will finally become obsolete, as @hjlbx and other members stated.

Until that happens, operating system vendors including Microsoft will implement workarounds to more efficient memory management, and in this case this is indeed a normal procedure Microsoft has implemented in the latest stable version of Windows 10 to achieve that efficiency as best as possible. It is bound to be improved in later versions too.

Reactions: XhenEd

ahvic

Jan 2, 2016
i just upgraded to windows 10 and at 1st i got massive lag till my comp hangs(unable to do anything but moving the mouse which is blinking here and there because of the lag) until i found out it was this process. after monitoring awhile i found out that it starts to use 200+ to 300+mb of rams at 1st but the usage of my ram was already at 70% total. i have 16gb of rams by the way... and after afew hours of watching shows i noticed lagging in my show so i looked at my task manager again and i c 99% usage of ram. and the process was in orange going red color because it's using like 1gb of my ram. but for some reason my internal E drive is at 100% activity as well. then i will lag till i was unable to do anything but to force restart which i have done it everytime since i had upgraded. i have not have a proper shut down since upgrade.... can anyone help? i cant sent the detail of the lagging because i will be unable to do anything.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

ahvic

Jan 2, 2016
i just reverted back to my windows 7... couldn't stand it anymore. and i've to revise my complain as well. before i reverted(because of hang again of cos) i took my time to stay calm and monitor the performance and i found out that it wasn't the process that's using my ram at all. it was actually at 10mb when it was lagging. but thats the problem. my ram usage was at 100% but my highest process ram usage was only 10mb which was the system compress process. nothing else is higher. but my ram usage was at 100% and my internal E drive was at 100% activity. i have no idea y the drive is at 100%. it's at 100% when startup, then dropped to 0% after awhile. it just keeps going up and down but then when lagging it'll definitely be at 100% but i wasnt accessing anything in my E drive. so dunno what the hell the problem is with windows 10. just couldn't stand it any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.