Status
Not open for further replies.

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
So I was thinking of having a system image done BUT this laptop with a clean install of Windows is taking over 60GB of space :(

Would love to know what MalwareTipsians are using to store their images :)

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Yeah, I'd store important data separately on an ext. HDD, DVD or BD-R. My users folder is only 2.1GB, Windows is 23GB, pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are 14GB (don't think they'd need to be on the image) :S

H

hjlbx

I agree with @frogboy

AOMEI or Macrium Reflect.

Backup is one thing.
Restoration is an entirely different thing.
The two are not the same - even though they both use the same soft. That's because they use different modules within that soft.

Backup and restoration are notorious for causing all manner of problems... to the point where one can pop a vein or have a nuclear meltdown - whichever comes 1st.

So best advice is always to do a practice run of backup + restoration using your soft of choice.

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
I agree with @frogboy

AOMEI or Macrium Reflect.

Backup is one thing.
Restoration is an entirely different thing.
The two are not the same - even though they both use the same soft. That's because they use different modules within that soft.

Backup and restoration are notorious for causing all manner of problems... to the point where one can pop a vein or have a nuclear meltdown - whichever comes 1st.

So best advice is always to do a practice run of backup + restoration using your soft of choice.
So would it be possible to test that restoration in a virtual machine?

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
It can be nerve wrecking doing a restoration but i have done a lot without one problem so far. And i am talking at least 50 or 60 restores when i was learning about PC's but now i trust my backup's to work. :D

H

hjlbx

It can be nerve wrecking doing a restoration but i have done a lot without one problem so far. And i am talking at least 50 or 60 restores when i was learning about PC's but now i trust my backup's to work. :D

You see... @frogboy got practice. Now he has no need to worry. He knows his solution works. If it didn't work for him, then he would have found something else.

Bottom line, he did not wait until needed restoration to discover it don't work...

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
You see... @frogboy got practice. Now he has no need to worry. He knows his solution works. If it didn't work for him, then he would have found something else.

Bottom line, he did not wait until needed restoration to discover it don't work...
Agreed 100% they work for me. Not needed so much these days but still handy to have.

R

Rod McCarthy

I Used to use Acronis, then I tried AX64 TM V1, Then I tried Macrium Paid Version.

My fav are AX64 TM V1 and Macrium (paid).

Careful with AX64TM V1... It works for some hardware and not others. But when tested and you find it works, man is it fast and convenient.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Conducted system image using Windows built in and place on my external HDD (once a month) + some important files on cloud.

There's nothing wrong to use 3rd party for increase of functionality, but usually I prefer the default one as long I can restore the state withou any problems.

Sana

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
So are there any limitations to Windows Restore VS Marcium or Acronis Imaging?

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Sana: As usual third party backup contains more features and you can select the way you want to backup meanwhile the built in from Windows is currently focus into one or two main functions.

Also some issues occur where in third party can manage to conduct backup.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I personally use Acronis True Image Home (I backup and restore using its bootable CD, it has never failed me since I first used it).
If not, I would have been using Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition (I already use the Paragon partition manager, and I trust Paragon as a software vendor).

Generally, however, I have been recommending AOMEI Backupper Standard or Macrium Reflect Free because they are practically exactly as effective, they are mostly easier to use than Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition and they are free, unlike Acronis True Image Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.