Troubleshoot System backup suddenly is inexplicably long

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Have you tried running so cleanup utility apps like ccleaner to get rid of temp and unnecessary files? Any new programs install that might increase your image or backup size. My favorite has always been to cleanup the WinSys folder using DISM after running windows diskcleaner.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup <--- usually takes about 10-20 minutes while it cleans up the image, you can also use DISM to restore your dism image if it needed repairing.

Give it a try and see if the backup time improves. Best of Luck and Happy Holidays!

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what software do you use for backup? temp files are skipped by most backup solutions, so I don't think that's it. Sounds to me like the backup software got corrupted. Try reinstalling it, or better yet, do an experiment with a different backup software.

Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
Very commonly this happens when a hard drive reverts to PIO mode after Windows decides it has seen a few errors from the drive. You can verify this by looking at the properties of the IDE Controller to which the drive is connected in device manager. (IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers/Primary IDE Channel/Advanced Settings tab, for example).

Upvote 0

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
checked performance of a second backup application "Image for windows" and same issue.
checked all suggestions above and same issue.
checked fragmentation. no luck
Updated all drivers using Drivebooster free . same problem
checked backup to a different hdd and same problem.
couldn't be system disk as the system is fast to boot and operate.
finally deleted all backup jobs created in macrium reflect and recreated new jobs. Bingo back to 10 minutes again
the issue was probably caused by my swapping a usb disk for another and this must have resulted in windows reporting invorrect drive letters to the backup application.
thanks for the support guys.
case closed.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.