System Rescue ISOs

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
All my life I've been using multiboot rescue disks/usb flashes, but lately options are limited if you are looking for something WinPE based bundled with tools, although linux based rescue disks are plenty.

15 (?) years ago I felt the need for one such rescue environment and I made one for myself, WinXP based, bundled with drivers and freeware, I can still remember one of the tools I used, nlite. It was free back then. And then I found out about Hiren's, looking for Norton Ghost free alternatives. Not particularly legal at the time, but... used it anyway, cause' everybody was using it. They got in trouble later so changed the entire bundled software.

So... what are you using (doesn't matter on what media, cds, dvds, usbs)? Are they bundled with different tools?

Nuno

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2016
Last time I needed one, I used Kaspersky Rescue Disk, which I'm guessing it's considered an antivirus live cd?
I've only needed it twice as I do not work in IT business yet. But it was enough to take all my files out, even though it didn't actually manage to disinfect my system.

Regarding bundled software, as far as I can remember it was a linux based OS with the general and basic stuff: A terminal, a file manager, a browser and Kaspersky already installed in it.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm using SARDU to create a multiboot rescue USB
- ESET SysRescue (very fast scanning speed with great detection rate, unlike kaspersky, can't wait 1 day for it)
- Hirenboot CD 10.6 (rebuilt edition) with mini windows XP
- Windows 10 x86 PE
- boot repair disk
- a tool which can load windows ISOs to install

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Just this morning, I used Macrium Reflect rescue disk, to fix an unbootable system. It's the best boot fixer.
I agree, and i always have this option in the event a clone should fail for some reason.
The premium home version of this is a god send, its what I do all my clones with.
Thanks for reminding me @shmu26 :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
- ESET SysRescue (very fast scanning speed with great detection rate, unlike kaspersky, can't wait 1 day for it)
- Windows 10 x86 PE
- boot repair disk
Good lord Evil, your not planning for a fail are you brother :p

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
- Windows 10 x86 PE
- boot repair disk

Advanced stuff, i like it :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Did that system had images? Or you used the tools within Macrium to fix the mbr?
When you boot into the Macrium recovery environment, one of the options you get is boot repair. That is what I used. You can use the Macrium boot repair tool even if you never made a system image in your life.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
When you boot into the Macrium recovery environment, one of the options you get is boot repair. That is what I used. You can use the Macrium boot repair tool even if you never made a system image in your life.

Yep, i know, it was exactly the tool i was referring too. You can even convert mbr to uefi/gpt with it, even images, though a little bit more to click around.

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
It amazes me how many people will create a rescue CD, but not test it, only to discover when they need it the most it fails them.

Who did create a rescue CD and not used it, so he/she could realise that it was a failure in the end?
Don't understand where you're going with this idea. Care to elaborate please?

Reactions: SHvFl

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Search the forums. You will find many posts "I created rescue disk and it don't\won't work!"

Ask user "Did you test it when you made it ?"

User "No..."

So? What's your point? Still don't understand, sorry.
I used rescue disks my whole life, saved many PCs/laptops/servers with them, diagnosed hundreds of PCs with them, and they did work. Some i tweaked myself, some worked out of the box. I've met many technicians so far, some still work with me after many years, some work somewhere else, we all use rescue disks. It's a must have tool for someone who's diagnosing/fixing PCs.

Reactions: SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.