System restore and Antivirus Products.

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
I have Windows 8.1 Pro. and i am curious how these three security products behave after a system restore ?
  1. Norton internet security 2014
  2. Bitdefender 2014
  3. eset nod32 version 7
sometime back i did a system restore with Norton internet security 2014 (NIS-2014). well system restore was successful but there were some problems with the NIS 2014,namely,
  1. some components of NIS got disabled and a FIX suggested by NIS was not successful.
  2. Also whole updates were lost and database was out of date
this behavior of NIS after a system restore is highly undesirable.

There was never a problem with ESET nod32 after system restore. It always went so smooth with ESET.

I don't know about Bitdefender regarding this situation.

Any such experience to anyone here at MT ?

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I have Windows 8.1 Pro. and i am curious how these three security products behave after a system restore ?
  2. Bitdefender 2014
  3. eset nod32 version 7
sometime back i did a system restore with Norton internet security 2014 (NIS-2014). well system restore was successful but there were some problems with the NIS 2014,namely,
  1. some components of NIS got disabled and a FIX suggested by NIS was not successful.

There was never a problem with ESET nod32 after system restore. It always went so smooth with ESET.

I think with Bitdefender you need to perform the "restore" via safe mode, otherwise it's drivers wont allow you to do it in normal mode!
Here is a good article on system restore and AV software:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831829

On a lighter note,I need a system restore after using Bitdefender:p:p

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
  2. Bitdefender 2014
  3. eset nod32 version 7

I don't like System Restore, and System Restore doesn't like me :D

Every time I used it in the past, in most cases it didn't solve my problem (I am talking about BIG problems like corruption of system, system files, registry malformations and similar...) and in minority cases when it solved the problem, it caused another one o_O

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
I don't like System Restore, and System Restore doesn't like me :D

Every time I used it in the past, in most cases it didn't solve my problem (I am talking about BIG problems like corruption of system, system files, registry malformations and similar...) and in minority cases when it solved the problem, it caused another one o_O

:D

Reactions: Venustus

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
fortunately system restore has never been a problem for me. It always turned out to be a savior to me.

Last time it got a little problematic due to Norton IS 2014.Norton failed to enable some of it's own components and lost all updates.
:(
Norton had its full updates a day ago while Windows 8 was restored to a few hours ago state.

I guess that the only one favorable candidate in system restore scenario is ESET Nod32. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Venustus

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I also tend to agree with Bora there..I just tend to have system image backups regularly and that is what I restore a clean-image-backup which I do weekly or before whenever I want to tinker on my system, say, try a new security program, so I would not boink my system. But that's just me :)

Reactions: Ved
I

illumination

System restore in most cases, is like trying to fix a chopped off limb on a person with a bandaid.

I have seen them cause way more problems then do good.. As with a couple other comments, a full image restore is best when it comes down to it.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Agree with the "a backup image is the best" fans...I would never trust system restore...in fact,on a clean Windows installation the first thing i do is to disable it.

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Though i have never tried Windows restore using a system image but with all these favorable comments, next time i will use system image option.

thank you all for their comments and suggestions.
:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I know Avast and Bitdefender don't function correctly after performing a System Restore.

If you use System Restore, it's ideal to create a manual System Restore point prior to installing any security product. Or a system image, if possible. To remove a security product, I'd recommend uninstalling, then using their dedicated uninstall tool. Do not use System Restore.
If you're required to use System Restore for another issue, I recommend disabling the security product prior to initiating the restore session.

Reactions: Ved and BoraMurdar

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Wow a system image, I never used one I need to try it! Any suggestions on how to make an Image backup?

I relied on system restore and luckly it did me good most of times, but the more I learn of PC's the less I use it and more useless it's becoming lol :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: JakeXPMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.