Solved sysWOW64 infection

Bayedo

Thread author
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks for your help. The sysWOW programmers have perverse expertise.

Attachments

• mbar-log-2017-03-15 (15-23-17).txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 0
  • system-log.txt
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FRST.txt
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Addition.txt
    61.5 KB · Views: 1
  • FRST.txt
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • M-bytes3-17.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FRST.txt
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Addition.txt
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • M-bytes3-17.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

Can you please explain where was your mind when you tried to delete the folder that holds your operating system? And where did you read that this folder should be deleted. I would really like to see this so I can report that content as misleading.

Bayedo

Thread author
Mar 15, 2017
Hello,

Can you please explain where was your mind when you tried to delete the folder that holds your operating system? And where did you read that this folder should be deleted. I would really like to see this so I can report that content as misleading.

Bayedo

Thread author
Mar 15, 2017
No, no! I was trying to delete the folder, C:\windows\sysWOW64. What a bunch of folders are within that one! When the folder wouldn't delete I tried deleting its subfolders. Some did go away but many didn't, and I realized the whole thing was way beyond me.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 is a system related folder and holds many files and folders needed for operating system to operate properly. Since you deleted many of them I suggest to completely reinstall your system, because it is damaged for sure. Some of them are impossible to delete just because they are used by the system and protected.

Bayedo

Thread author
Mar 15, 2017
C:\Windows\SysWOW64 is a system related folder and holds many files and folders needed for operating system to operate properly. Since you deleted many of them I suggest to completely reinstall your system, because it is damaged for sure. Some of them are impossible to delete just because they are used by the system and protected.
Ouch! Well. thank you for your help.

Bayedo

Thread author
Mar 15, 2017
Just had another thought. All the files I deleted were within the sysWow64 folder. I deleted only a few,and Trusted Installer wouldn't let me delete some that I tried. Is there still hope for resolution without a reinstall, or did the FRST files show key files missing?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.