Taboola ads in Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
Trying to get rid of Taboola ads in all browsers, Tied everything you suggested in your "How to Remove Taboola Ads" article. My PC has the fee version of MBAM and Anti-Exploit.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    37.5 KB · Views: 12
  • FRST.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Nevi

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
No. It's a home computer used for browsing, email, picture editing, etc.

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
When I said "fee" version of MBAM above, I should have said the Premium version that I pay for annually. Just wanted to make sure you know it has real-time protection, unlike the "free" version.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
51a612a8b27e2-Zoek.png
Scan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop.
Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on
    51a612a8b27e2-Zoek.png
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:
    Code:
    createsrpoint;
    autoclean;
    emptyclsid;
    emptyalltemp;
    ipconfig /flushdns >>"%temp%\log.txt";b
  • Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Upload it in your next reply.

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
zoek-results log attached.

Attachments

• zoek-results_1.log
    15 KB · Views: 3

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
Didn't try anything after running Zoek. Will be away from PC for the next 10 days. Please keep this case open. Thanks for all your help so far.

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
Ended up using the "Removes Taboola" extension for Chrome. But it's more of a hammer than a scalpel, because I can't search on the word "taboola" or even open this web page using Chrome.

Just noticed my wife's PC has the taboola ads in IE8 when she goes to webmail.tx.rr.com. I think it's part of the website, not some kind of browser infection.

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
Only in Chrome and only if I disable the extension. Firefox is what I'm using here, and it's OK on the same sites that Chrome has the taboola ads. And what's funny is I installed a brand new, larger hard drive and did a clean Windows re-install, not a re-image. But the taboola stuff is still there on some sites. I think I'm going to put Chrome on the shelf and start using Firefox.

Mike_B

Thread author
Aug 1, 2016
Chrome was a clean install that I did right after I reinstalled Windows 7 on the new hard drive from a Dell recovery CD. But at least one website had the taboola ads right away.

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
@sky777rain

You are not allowed to post in the topic.

If you need help start your own topic here:

Click the Post Thread icon in the Top Right Corner.

Give it a Title and let us know what is wrong with your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.