Tachyon Internet Security

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've used this and past versions. There is a thread about previous versions here.

If found v4 to be too heavy at times for my liking. I can't remember if the current version was any better, but I prefer other free antiviruses.

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I've used this and past versions. There is a thread about previous versions here.

If found v4 to be too heavy at times for my liking. I can't remember if the current version was any better, but I prefer other free antiviruses.
OK thanks, I'll also post the link to v5 on that thread :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Use this with caution. It is not using Bitdefender definitions (although previous versions did), but is just using its own Tachyon engine. I scanned a large malware pack and the detection rate was abysmal, with the vast majority of the files being undetected. I then scanned the first few files that had not been quarantined, at VirusTotal and Bitdefender detected every one.

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Use this with caution. It is not using Bitdefender definitions (although previous versions did), but is just using its own Tachyon engine. I scanned a large malware pack and the detection rate was abysmal, with the vast majority of the files being undetected. I then scanned the first few files that had not been quarantined, at VirusTotal and Bitdefender detected every one.

Likewise.

Using their own own sigs now ? I was wondering why the detection rate was so bad.

Regards Eck:giggle:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Using their own own sigs now ? I was wondering why the detection rate was so bad.
They've always used their own signatures alongside Bitdefender's. It didn't matter that their own signatures detected very little, when they used BD sigs as well. While using their own signatures too, did very little to improve the detection rate, they didn't have issues with false positives, so it didn't matter. Maybe there own signatures are good at detecting local threats?

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
They've always used their own signatures alongside Bitdefender's. It didn't matter that their own signatures detected very little, when they used BD sigs as well. While using their own signatures too, did very little to improve the detection rate, they didn't have issues with false positives, so it didn't matter. Maybe there own signatures are good at detecting local threats?

Yes it was very noticable the drop in the detection rate.

Maybe they`re in the midst of aquiring other vendor signatures or something but their own sigs could sure do with a helping hand?

Regards Eck:giggle:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
What country is this company based in?

this is what I could find in the contact page on their website , so it's headquarters is based in california :

• 3003 N. First Street #301 San Jose, CA 95134
founded in 1996 by Youngheum Joo :

The beginning of TACHYON goes back to 1996 when INCA Internet CEO Yongheum Joo first encountered a computer virus and decided to develop an anti-virus called 'TACHYON'. TACHYON opens the new era of anti-virus by detecting and cleaning new virus / malware with fast speed and fast update

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
It was released without Bitdefender. Previous versions, which were called nProtect, used Bitdefender signatures alongside their own.
I emailed them at the contact email address they have on their site and got this response from a Tachyon representative:

Either they are still using the dual signature, or he is uninformed about what is going on with their software.

Tachyon is a virus

Aug 2, 2019
OK so this is very weird.

I got this program automatically installed on my computer without my consent. It looks like a fake antivirus utility. LOL how great.

Tried to remove it using malwarebits or zemana, failed. I cant even delete the program folder, it says I need admin rights. When I try to give admin rights, the same Tachyon denies access WTF. If I try to uninstall it through control panel, some random popups with chinese or korean characters. WTF?

This is an absolute malware. Tachyon is a virus, please help me remove it. I dont want it in my computer they entered my PC without my consent, this is very frustrating. I am using Windows 8.1

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@Tachyon is a virus You can uninstall it using Add or remove programs. You can use Google Translate app on a smart phone to translate the Korean text to English.

This is not a virus or malware. I have once seen it bundled with other software and I presume that is where you got it from. But this doesn't make it a virus. For example, Avast, Chrome and Opera, often come bundled with other software too

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.