Tachyon Internet Security

P

Pkjfkknm

All posts must be made in English with proper spelling and punctuation
Wow geez...so many new members commenting on this post...making me feel kinda suspicious about them.
Anyways back to the original topic. Tachyon is a legitimate antivirus software. However it may so happen that you may have encountered a rogue AV that has the same name. I remember when Microsoft security essentials was first released, there was also a rogue AV named MSE. It confused so many people. :(

chinese install monster famous for install modified known safe software that become malicious
cannot assume untampered version installed by install monster
chinese install monster install modified malicious version avast, qihoo, other av
lots short sighted discussion here
not open to possibility of malicious actions
not even consider it
just "is safe"

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
chinese install monster famous for install modified known safe software that become malicious
cannot assume untampered version installed by install monster
chinese install monster install modified malicious version avast, qihoo, other av
lots short sighted discussion here
not open to possibility of malicious actions
not even consider it
just "is safe"
What?

• +Reputation
Reactions: Jack and Venustus

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
the software it install modified to be malicious
tachyon installed by install monster
That is nothing more than speculation. While it seems that it was installed by a a so called "install monster" (the term confused me too), there is no evidence that would suggest that it is anything other than the standard version of Tachyon. It's possible, but again, it's just speculation, not fact.

P

Pkjfkknm

That is nothing more than speculation. While it seems that it was installed by a a so called "install monster" (the term confused me too), there is no evidence that would suggest that it is anything other than the standard version of Tachyon. It's possible, but again, it's just speculation, not fact.

there is evidence it suggest
user report cannot unistall it
user say it look like malware
another user say is behave like malware
it install after unistall
malwares behavior

from start
i not say it is malicious
i not say it is not malicious
i say only malware removal expert can say
no one can know until inspect system

Reactions: Burrito

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
there is evidence it suggest
user report cannot unistall it
user say it look like malware
another user say is behave like malware
it install after unistall
malwares behavior

from start
i not say it is malicious
i not say it is not malicious
i say only malware removal expert can say
no one can know until inspect system

Yes, I think @.\urbeat.ps1 has a point.

While it could still be speculation, we are seeing evidence right here at MT of a trend. There are only a relative few data points.... true.

A Google search turned up the following.

We may be seeing additional new members who have been afflicted with Tachyon being installed without authorization.

Roger is right that Tachyon itself does not seem to be malware.

But maybe something else is going on with corrupted Tachyon code.. or maybe they just inadvertently got involved with unscrupulous bundlers.

1564882567998.png

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
yuo not know what is install monster ?
install monster known across av industry
install monster download and install software without user desire
the software it install modified to be malicious
tachyon installed by install monster
I was not familiar with that. Sorry, I truly didn’t understand your post. I see what you’re saying now.

P

Pkjfkknm

Poster with this problem should be posting in malware removal thread for assistance. This thread is simply going nowhere except around in circles. “Lock it” Dan-no!

they did
discussion here asked by OP
ask anyone use ?
want know quality
obvious problems

thread should not be locked

I was not familiar with that. Sorry, I truly didn’t understand your post. I see what you’re saying now.

my english not good
sorry

brendag123

Aug 4, 2019
This was installed on my computer yesterday, too. I opened tachyon, turned off all of their "self protection" settings and turned off real time protection. After I turned off self protection, I was able to end the tasks. I was also able to go into the program folder on C:// and delete the FILES in the TACHYON folder, but not the folder. and one file is being stubborn-- ixShellExt6.dll. I couldn't delete it because it said it was open, so I renamed it in the hopes that it won't work now.

UPDATE: Yes! Restarted my computer, and no sign of TACHYON.

Last edited:

INCA

From TACHYON
Verified
Developer
Aug 5, 2019
Hello,

I'm an engineer at INCA Internet and TACHYON is our endpoint brand.
Recently, there were increase of incoming emails to our inquiry mail box regarding product uninstallation.

First thing I would like to say is that we would never install our software without the user’s agreement.
Also once the software is removed from the Control Panel/Programs and Features it is not supposed to reinstall itself.
It should be removable from the Control Panel/Programs and Features.
Please let me know what the behavior is when it comes to removing the software.

Second, TACHYON Internet Security did come in as an optional bundle package in software like 3DP and StarCodec.
However, the installation window pop-ups and asks for the user's agreement before proceeding installation.

The software shouldn't install by itself forcefully without the user's consent.
We are investigating this issue and trying to find the source and stop the damage it is causing to the end user.
Any information you know will be helpful to us.
Suspicious websites, 3rd party software and etc. any little information will be helpful

P.S. Yes, TACHYON Internet Security has Bit-defender engine.
However, majority of the signatures are our own signatures.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
However, the installation window pop-ups and asks for the user's agreement before proceeding installation.
Hello @INCA,
I've tried this antivirus and when users are trying to uninstall it, the uninstaller is in Korean, making the uninstall process a guessing game. I think the first step is to make sure the uninstaller is in English.
For those who want to uninstall this antivirus, I've added screenshots on what buttons to click to remove it. Click on the buttons marked by the red square to complete the uninstall process.
Step-1.jpg

Step-2.jpg

The software shouldn't install by itself forcefully without the user's consent.
It's common knowledge that people never read carefully the TOS or like to uncheck boxes. However, I have a suggestion, because you're a security company, why not make users opt-in to install this antivirus rather than opt-out?
I understand that your antivirus is legitimate, however, PUP's have a similar way of sneaking onto users' computers so it would be great to use an opt-in process and make it clear to the users that an antivirus will be installed.
If it makes you feel any better, you're in good company, Avast also likes to bundle its antivirus within other installers. :whistle::whistle:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
P.S. Yes, TACHYON Internet Security has Bit-defender engine.
However, majority of the signatures are our own signatures.
Thanks for posting here. Can you explain what the Bitdefender engine is used for, when you are using your own signatures? In your previous nProtect product, you did seem to be using the full Bitdefender signatures.

INCA

From TACHYON
Verified
Developer
Aug 5, 2019
Hello @INCA,
I've tried this antivirus and when users are trying to uninstall it, the uninstaller is in Korean, making the uninstall process a guessing game. I think the first step is to make sure the uninstaller is in English.
For those who want to uninstall this antivirus, I've added screenshots on what buttons to click to remove it. Click on the buttons marked by the red square to complete the uninstall process.
View attachment 218306

View attachment 218307

It's common knowledge that people never read carefully the TOS or like to uncheck boxes. However, I have a suggestion, because you're a security company, why not make users opt-in to install this antivirus rather than opt-out?
I know that your antivirus is legitimate, however, PUP's have a similar way of sneaking onto users' computers so it would be great to use an opt-in process and make it clear to the users that an antivirus will be installed.
If it makes you feel any better, you're in good company, Avast also likes to bundle its antivirus within other installers. :whistle::whistle:
Hello Jack,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot and your suggestion about the software.
The software supports English and the unistaller should also be displayed in English.

Below is the installation screen for the TACHYON Internet Security.
set.PNG

set1.PNG

The software is not installed unless the user accepts the agreement.
It seems like the users never saw this screen in the first place and the software was installed from the background via Botnet(this is just my personal speculation).

It will be great if you can answer few questions for me regarding the software.

1. How was the software installed? Was it forcefully installed suddenly in the background?
2. Since the uninstaller was in Korean, I'm assumming the all UI of the software was in Korean. Correct?
If so, will it be possible to disclose your current system locale settings for the [Language for non-Unicode programs]?
Go to : Settings -> Time & Language -> Regiom & language -> Scroll down to [Related settings] -> Click [Administrative language settings] -> Click [Change system locale...]

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hi Peeps.
I wanted to try the latest Tachyon Internet Security but I've had a problem with the payment. I used Paypal but the redirection back to tachyon's website threw an Apache server exception somewhere. I have my Paypal receipt but Tachyon hasn't registered the payment. (My account is still the free version)
Do any of you guys know enough Korean to translate a short email for me if I may please ask?
Thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.