Taga Config

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I was wondering which security software to have on my PC to have the best protection from viruses, malware, and etc. I was thinking of Avast Internet Security Suite with Comodo firewall, as it makes a great combination, and from what a friend told me

Also 360 security suite comes with a cleaner to clean system junk. Is it ok to install more than 1 anti virus software?, if not, what's a good software to clean system junk files?

Kind Regards

Taga

Reactions: Noxx

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
User Account Control should be at least at "Default".
Add at least one or two on-demand scanners. I suggest Zemana AntiMalware Free and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Consider uBlock Origin as an adblocker.
Backups, backups, backups. Consider Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper Free.

Don't install Avast Internet Security with Comodo Firewall. If you want both brands, choose Avast Free with Comodo Firewall. Internet Security suites have already firewall. You don't want to have multiple firewalls in your machine.

It's not okay to install more than one anti-virus. You may install one complementary anti-malware solution, though. There are many, like Zemana AntiMalware Premium, Webroot, Emsisoft, etc.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
  • UAC @ default
  • On-demand scanner: Zemana Anti-malware Free
  • Ad-block: Ublock origin will suffice (as malware can be transmitted thru ads)
  • Password: LastPass will do.
  • For tuners/cleaners: CCleaner, Privazer, or WiseCare 365
  • Backup: MACRIUM or AOMEI free
  • Anti-exploit(optional): Malwarebytes Anti-exploit

Its not practical to install 2 AV's one should be your main AV and another complimentary(Zemana Anti-malware premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium), or another combination would be AV and Anti-exe/Whitelist application (Voodooshield free).

You can also make use of Comodo Firewall as an anti-exe by setting auto-sandbox to block unrecognized, stopping malware from even executing IMO is the best protection.

Consider @XhenEd advice, you might get some conflict if you use multiple firewall.

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
In addition to security software, you should consider enabling your OS updates.
For best protection, I would suggest ESET, Kaspersky, Avira or Bitdefender as the main AV and Zemana or Malwarebytes anti-malware for complementary.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
1.You need to enable and update your Operating system first, because critical security patches are released by Micrososft which fill up the vulnerable holes which can be exploited by malware/hackers.Keeping the OS and software updated is basic for security.
2.You are either running local or admin account? and you need UAC (user account control) prompts enabled at least with default levels, so that nothing is executed on your system without permission. Right now everything is leveraged to full access which can be dangerous( I am assuming it is an admin account). One of the best practices is to set an admin account with a strong password and then use a local account( which has lesser rights) for your everyday work. Even if the system is compromised, you can use admin account to restore most of it.
3.Antivirus and other security : Please use the updated version of AVG 2016 for now, as I've said keeping the software updated is necessary. Also consider adding other layers of protection like an anti-malware(Malwarebytes,Zemana) and anti-exploit(Malwarebytes anti -exploit, HitmanPro.Alert). You can have a look at the security configs in the forum marked as secure for a general idea.
4.On demand scanners : These can help you confirm if your system is clean or not, whether something got through the defenses.These do not have to have real time protection, most of the free versions will do.(Zemana, HitmanPro, EEK, Norton PowerEraser, etc.) A regular scan ethic is recommended.
5.Browsers and add-ons: Again keeping your browser up-to-date can prevent some serious exploits. Also consider adding an adblocker like ublock-origin(extension) or adguard(system-wide) so you are protected from unwanted content and tracking. Site advisor add-ons like bitdefender-trafficlight or WOT can be useful(most security suites have their own safe search too). Https-everywhere to ensure you have a safe encrypted connection and maybe Noscript addon for dealing with in-browser malicious scripts/attacks.
6.Password manager is absolutely required for managing and keeping the passwords safe. You may try LastPass, Roboform, or KeePass. Do not rely on browser password manager much.
7.Backups: Backups are the backbone of any secure config. If anything goes wrong(failed software installations,BSOD, malware infection,data corruption) you can easily restore your system to a previous working state with a good external/online backup. Consider free versions of Aomei Backupper, Macrium reflect. If it is too much for you, at least consider making backup copies of your valuable documents.
8.System tuning : Advanced users can clean up the junk by using built-in windows tools only. However, free version of Ccleaner,Privazer are enough for most.
9.Stay safe,have good browsing habits,avoid shady or suspicious websites and links/email attachments.
10.The others have contributed their generous time to advise and help you keep safe,so follow their opinion and if anything goes wrong community is here to help.
:)

Last edited:

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
Hi Xhen Ed

Thank you so much for your advice, I don't really know much about lots anti virus software and anti malware solutions, and why having 2 firewalls is not good, If I use Avast Internet Security Suite by disabling the firewall, and by using the Comodo firewall only, will this be ok?

Where can I also find the 5 rating chart for anti viruses and anti malware solutions to further improve my knowledge on these software, and to get a better understanding of each software?

Reactions: Noxx and XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hi Xhen Ed

Thank you so much for your advice, I don't really know much about lots anti virus software and anti malware solutions, and why having 2 firewalls is not good, If I use Avast Internet Security Suite by disabling the firewall, and by using the Comodo firewall only, will this be ok?

Where can I also find the 5 rating chart for anti viruses and anti malware solutions to further improve my knowledge on these software, and to get a better understanding of each software?
Even if you disable the firewall of Avast Internet Security, its driver(s) may conflict with Comodo Firewall's operation. That is one of the reasons why there are special uninstallers made by AV companies for their softwares. So, either AIS only or Avast Free with CF must be installed.

malwaretips.com is your go-to for your online security education. Read, comment, or ask questions here. Or just lurk. :)

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
@taga AVG is a good Antivirus, added with the other mentioned products have good protection.
The important thing is to keep updated as the @Rishi said!
If you like AVG does not have need to change. :)

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
if I install Avast Internet Security Suite or AVG Internet Security Suite with the below recommendation, will it create a conflict on my PC?
  • UAC @ default
  • Anti-exploit(optional): Malwarebytes Anti-exploitz

Reactions: Duotone

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
if I install Avast Internet Security Suite or AVG Internet Security Suite with the below recommendation, will it create a conflict on my PC?
  • UAC @ default
They should not. Go ahead, apply the recommendation. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DardiM and taga

taga

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

Can I confirm that I can use more than 1 (On-demand scanner) and more than 1 (Anti-exploit)?, would it cause a conflict?

I am also using the Avast Internet Security Suite, do I need to disable the Windows 7 Firewall?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Hi everyone,

Can I confirm that I can use more than 1 (On-demand scanner) and more than 1 (Anti-exploit)?, would it cause a conflict?

I am also using the Avast Internet Security Suite, do I need to disable the Windows 7 Firewall?
You can use more than 1 on-demand scanner.

But you may not want to use more than 1 anti-exploit, due to possible conflicts in operation. Although, I think you can use a separate anti-exploit even if your main AV already has an anti-exploit. HitmanPro.Alert and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, for example, are made to be compatible with AVs even for those that have buit-in anti-exploit.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

• UAC @ default

Yes
Yes - or Malwarebytes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Microsoft EMET is better, plus it is free.

You are using nothing but freeware versions of security softs ?

If that is the case, then you are better off with Comodo Internet Security with Proactive Security enabled - and leave all of its settings alone = don't change anything after enabling Proactive Security.

CIS has a learning curve, but you should be somewhat familiar with it since you have already used CFW.

Reactions: taga and XhenEd

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Anti-exploit is not just goes on traditional techniques however it uses hardware modules to scan deep from analysis so having another same component may result to conflict.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.