Currently, McAfee
Fav. Videogame
No games played on my computer

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
New Member Hello... I have put my user name as 'Tall Order', because for me to follow what anyone recommends for me to do or try is a Tall Order. My computer ability is bare bones: I get lost turning it on or signing in if anything goes wrong! I have managed to download, occasionally, but most use is limited to reading, learning music, ebay and latest 'no-news' news updates.

Am open to any advice, but may not be able to put a program on here myself, unless it is one that doesn't give grief on install. My computer is old, Windows XP still here, and, I think, only 3 GB ram. I came here today to look for an anti-malware, as right now, I have Malwarebytes on here..(Premium) free, but it puts up these little windows all day long...'buy me...'. and everytime it does, my computer comes to a screeching halt just before that little window pops up, until shortly after I close that window again. Just happens to drive me insane and aggrevate the day!

I saw the free offers, too, and thought to give it a try. Was most interested in the emsisoft malware. I lost a computer once to malware, and don't want to lose this one! I live in NE Arkansas, and if I need to take my computer in anywhere, it goes to West Plains, Mo., an hour away...
Thanks, y'all

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
H! @tallorder Malwarebytes is not considered to be a Anti-Virus program. I would suggest free Avast or Avira. You will get many more suggestions here from other MT members. Windows XP is no longer supported my Microsoft, which will make you vulnerable when you are on the internet.
If you can, you need to update to W7. You can see if this stops the nag pop -up from Malwarebytes
Uninstall Malwarebytes and then reinstall it from this link. http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware
Welcome to MT. I hope you can find some answers here. Don't be afraid to ask. There are no dumb questions here on MT

tallorder

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
H! @tallorder Malwarebytes is not considered to be a Anti-Virus program. I would suggest free Avast or Avira. You will get many more suggestions here from other MT members. Windows XP is no longer supported my Microsoft, which will make you vulnerable when you are on the internet.
If you can, you need to update to W7. You can see if this stops the nag pop -up from Malwarebytes
Uninstall Malwarebytes and then reinstall it from this link. http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware
Welcome to MT. I hope you can find some answers here. Don't be afraid to ask. There are no dumb questions here on MT
Hi, and Thanks. I have an antivirus, it is McAfee Antivirus Plus and, of course, Malwarebytes (Premium). Not sure if the Malwarebytes is a free or a paid for product, though, as a local computer store put it on for me when I asked them to look this thing over. I am so cautious about clicking onto anything, that I do not usually click onto anything. I keep getting a pop-up (from Malwarebytes)(?), that says .." a new version of Malwarebytes is ready to be installed", and if I go to their page, it says.. " your program version is out of date, install now", but don't know if that will change current license or cause another $$., or more work.

If you look at my configuration page, this is a tiny, tiny, slow computer... really need a new one more than anything! That is why I was so interested in the antivirus giveaways! II am just trying to be sure to keep this one on the road until I can learn what to get, and the cost involved.

Reactions: tonibalas

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi ! You need to let malwarebytes install the newer version. It doesn't matter if it's free or paid. It won't cost you any thing!
If someone put Malwarebytes on your PC. It's probably the free version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.