Tango-deg.com adware removal

pwcrickman

Thread author
May 6, 2018
I have a brand new Lenovo Miix 320 laptop with Windows 10 Home Pro. After creating a MS account and going through the setup, I noticed two questionable items. First, the internet connection was very slow for all other devices in the house (a laptop, a desktop and a Windows 8.1 tablet) connected via a wireless router. Secondly, when a new tab is initiated in MS Edge the URL is hijacked and taken to a tango-deg.com address.

I have run a scan using the MalwareBytes.com, HitManPro and Zemana Antimalware Portable scanners and all of them have turned up no threats. I have reset the MS Edge settings back to default. The browser still gets hijacked to the tango-deg.com page. During one invocation of the browser I was also sent to a smart rewards page with the Kohls logo.

I did notice that there are a number of MS Updates that the laptop has been trying to download and install including the 1709 build (2017 Fall Creators update) which might partially explain the tie up of the Internet connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    21.4 KB · Views: 4
  • FRST.txt
    22.3 KB · Views: 4

pwcrickman

Thread author
May 6, 2018
How do you explain the Edge browser hijacking? Are there any other browser settings to check?

Are the Windows 10 MS Updates (especially the 2017 Fall Creators Update) known to hog an Internet connection (DSL in this case)?

pwcrickman

Thread author
May 6, 2018
Yes, as far as I can tell. I don't have Chrome or Firefox installed. It may only be the search engine since it gets hijacked when the new Tab is selected. The new Tab page has a search field only on it. I tried updating the new Tab setting to a blank page, but that didn't change the behavior. The home page is set to mail.aol.com which does connect when I start the browser. Would this discussion be more appropriate in a Windows 10 based forum?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.