Tech Support Scam Hitting Microsoft Edge Start Page Takes a Break

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
A sophisticated browser locker campaign that ran on high-profile pages, like Microsoft Edge's home or popular tech sites, was deactivated this week after in-depth research was published.

The actors behind it used a compromised an ad content supplier for top-tier distribution and combined targeted traffic filtering with steganography.

This mix allowed the operation to survive for at least two years, bringing victims to a tech support scam page and threat researchers to a dead end as they scratched their heads about how the redirect to the fake malware reporting page happened.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I have personally experienced this page myself but was smart enough to use task manager to get out of it. One thing that boggles my mind..... Why didn't Microsoft block the pages even after months of it being active on the pages? i remember submitting one of the pages to edge as malicious and 1 month later no block....

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.