Status
Not open for further replies.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I can't seem to find any technical information about Kaspersky Firewall? What protection features it has?

Is this something Kaspersky doesn't release? Or is Kaspersky's firewall simple in nature and doesn't have advanced firewall features?

Such as what Panda advertises on their new Panda Dome:

Posted by ForgottenSeer 58943 about Panda Dome:

Next, there are toggles for the following;
IP Explicit Path
Land Attack
SYN flood
TCP Portscan
TCP flag check
IP header length check
UDP flood
UDP portscan
Smart DNS
Smart DHCP
Smart ARP
OS Detection
ICMP Unsolicited Drop Responses
ICMP No Echo Requests
Small PMTU
Smurf
Fragmentation Control

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
With all respect all I have to say about this Panda Dome Firewall is "Dont believe the Hype!".

Kaspersky firewall is smarter with a better IPS, it actually stopped the infamous ETERNALBLUE exploit with its IPS module.

MRG – ETERNALBLUE vs Internet Security Suites and nextgen protections

Windows Firewall for example is actually good (it just lack the outbound control by default and is vulnerable against hijack) and can filter most of this "alien" stuff with competence, like many products that use Windows Filtering Platform (WFP).

Want a fancy firewall? Go with ESET Internet Security, but just remember that a product doesnt need to have "special" settings to be good.

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I can't seem to find any technical information about Kaspersky Firewall? What protection features it has?

Is this something Kaspersky doesn't release? Or is Kaspersky's firewall simple in nature and doesn't have advanced firewall features?

Such as what Panda advertises on their new Panda Dome:
Panda could have the best firewall in the world, but when it comes down to it Panda offers nowhere near the overall system protection that Kaspersky does.

It's great for a company to say we have X, Y and Z features plus the rest of the Alphabet. The question is how good are said features and the product as a whole at protecting a system, i.e Getting the job done. If I remember correctly Kaspersky's firewall ios mediocre at best, but their line of thinking is that all their other modules would prevent an attack or prevent any malware from running anyway let along call out or in.

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
For me what matters is Kaspersky’s Firewall and its other components are decent enough to guarantee strong security. Sorry for not providing a good answer.

Reactions: mekelek

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Most firewalls allow separate rules for ingoing and outgoing. How can I do this in KIS?
For instance, I want to allow ingoing connection for MS Word, but not outbound connection.

Reactions: Barakah
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Most firewalls allow separate rules for ingoing and outgoing. How can I do this in KIS?
For instance, I want to allow ingoing connection for MS Word, but not outbound connection.

It can do this, but isn't readily apparent and I suspect most people don't use it in this fashion.

How to use Firewall in Kaspersky Total Security

IMO Kaspersky has an acceptable firewall, not because of the firewall module itself being overly amazing but largely because it utilizes the firewall in concert with other modules. Such as blocking unknown applications from lateral traversal on a network. It's not in line with with Panda, ESET, Norton and some others, but it's acceptable IMO, not too many suites these days focus on their firewalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.