Poll Telemetry and Spy Features: Windows 10 vs Windows 11

Do you block telemetry in Windows 10 and 11?

• Yes, I block as much as possible, even if it causes me discomfort/problems in the system

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Yes, I block it, but not everything, so that there are no problems with the system.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • No, I'm not blocking anything.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • For the first time I hear that Windows spies and sends telemetry data :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
When Windows 10 was released, interested users wrote a lot of articles on the topic of surveillance, telemetry, etc., and concluded that there were much more telemetry and spy functions in 10 than there were in 7. Now the question is whether there are more spy functions and telemetry in 11 than in 10 or not? Are you struggling with telemetry? Do you use specialized programs for this?
Today I looked at the DNS server statistics, and saw that in a month my Windows 10 sends about 4,500 requests to various domains and Microsoft servers, taking into account the computer's Internet time, this is equivalent to 1 request every 5 minutes. At the same time, after looking at where exactly the most requests are sent, I saw that these are update servers and servers that are responsible for the so-called "family security", that is, they collect information about all work on the computer and on the Internet. Although I did not connect any functions for parental control, for tracking children, etc., since I do not need it, I do not understand why Microsoft collects it. I also don't understand why the system accesses the update servers EVERY 5 minutes (and almost every 3-5 minutes accesses the "family security" servers). Is 1 update check per day not enough?
And how are things in Windows 11?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I turn off what I can in "Settings", that's about it, I really don't worry about it. I would not use a program specifically made for this such as O &O Shutup as imo these will eventually break your Windows if you tweak too much.
Exactly! I used to be control freak when it came to Windows and telemetry. Nowadays, I just disable what I can through settings and maybe Group Policy Editor. Why did I stop messing with telemetry?

First of all, no matter what you block, Windows will always find a way to communicate with Microsoft servers. You may block one domain or IP, it will connect to another. Second, as Windows constantly makes requests in the background, every time you block a Microsoft's domain or IP, Windows will continue to send requests until they reach the destination. This entire process makes Windows slower because Windows components then have massive delays as they wait for the answer from server. I experienced this myself; Windows would literally sometimes hang as well as Microsoft related software. Those issues weren't present when I deactivated telemetry blockade.
And third, every few Windows Updates I had to run program for blocking telemetry again, because updates would sometimes mess the settings up and enable it again. So, I just gave up.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I block Microsoft's advertising in Windows 10 via Winaero's firewall rules, which still seem to work somewhat. I enable full telemetry in Windows 11 due to Insider channel's requirements but I haven't been plagued with much of anything since I removed Edge browser from both systems. (y):coffee:

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
I did some extensive tweaking to my windows 10 installation , to prevent microsoft from spying on me , and yes it is a huge utopia thinking that you cann stop all , but atleast I can rest assure , That I did my best :

- Deboated windows 10 with :

sycnex script
xtoolbox
o&o shutup 10
appbuster
various tweaks in settings etc. following the tech yes city guide

completely uninstalled windows defender from the system and registry
completely uninstalled windows edge from system and added prompts in the registry to prevent edge from installing again with future upgrades

use this tool :

to add block rules to windows firewall to block windows / microsoft sending telemetry

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft only put the “keylogger" in the Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO, which was removed in the general public release of Windows 10.

What I would do:
  • Block the telemetry settings that can be accessed by the user through Windows settings.
  • Utilise Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

What I would avoid:
  • Use of 3rd-party anti-spy tool (misconfigurations can cause more damage)
  • Being paranoid

Note: At the time of this post, I was not using Windows 11.

Today I looked at the DNS server statistics, and saw that in a month my Windows 10 sends about 4,500 requests to various domains and Microsoft servers, taking into account the computer's Internet time, this is equivalent to 1 request every 5 minutes. At the same time, after looking at where exactly the most requests are sent, I saw that these are update servers and servers that are responsible for the so-called "family security", that is, they collect information about all work on the computer and on the Internet.
Take a look at Hot Take - Windows 11 connection endpoints for non-Enterprise editions (Informational)

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
An interesting article, I looked through all of it, but I thought that getting into the registry so much would be just the same paranoia. :D I use the windows firewall in advanced security mode, disabling the settings in the available Privacy Settings in Windows and the Windows Spy Blocker list on the DNS server, where you can see all Windows connections in the statistics.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
So, I have a confession to make. Turns out, I've been playing a hilarious game of 'Spy vs. Spy' with Windows! They thought they were sneaky, spying on me all the time. But little did they know, I sometimes take a peek out of the window to catch a glimpse of the outside world. It's like a secret agent showdown happening right in my own living room! Shh, don't tell Windows, they might get jealous!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Not sure, what kind of discomfort/problems are you talking about? Disabling telemetry only makes it impossible to use Insider Beta/Dev. Insider RP channel works just fine.

P.S.: Though I have disabled Telemetry, I use MSA, OneDrive, Outlook email, Edge, Bing with Rewards.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.