Advice Request TEMASOFT RANSTOP - User Experiences

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
TEMASOFT RANSTOP - User Experiences

As I did not find a thread on this and don't want to hijack other threads leading to OT discussions, I decided to up a thread where users can share their experiences testing RW against that product (and help the developer(s) improving the protection if something goes wrong).

Let's start with a new ransomware discovered by @CyberSecurity GrujaRS, kindly tracked by @DardiM.

Video Review - New (No name yet) Ransomware - Demonstration of attack video review.

I did not see any action by TEMASOFT RANSTOP, but I can confirm that on my machine all files hit by ransomware (other than desktop.ini) have been automatically "restored" next to the encrypted ones (which is perfect IMO).
Although I have to note we do have an AutoRun as well as a running process for the dropped cl.exe, which encrypted the files.
Please keep in mind I turned off AVG Protection (Real-Time, Online Shield, Software Analyzer) in order to test this product entirely.
AVG.PNG
AVG IDP instantly intercepts the ransomware.

I cannot reboot in ShadowDefender environment as all changes will be lost.

Here's a screenshot (TEMASOFT RANSTOP only):
report.PNG upload_2017-3-26_8-46-16.png

@Mod's if this thread is not suitable, please be as kind to delete it.

Last edited:

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
I installed Ranstop in trial mode and after a few hours, the disk io was high and pc was sluggish. when I checked, i found the culprit to be ranstop's file monitor service.
PC was unuasble.
I could not uninstall ranstop as system was unstable and unresponsive.
I restored from a backup image using Macrium Reflect.
PC is now running fine.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Hi guys,

@Der.Reisende For the first issue, seems that protection worked (so there may be a UI problem). Kindly send an email with this info to support@temasoft.com. Thanks!

@vindiesel , @Mohan Rajan - For memory / disk consumption please check the system requirements. Note that immediately after install you need to reboot, and after reboot, the product performs its initial backup of files. Slower machines may render this activity obvious. If you still believe it is a bug, please contact support at support@temasoft.com

Thank you for your feedback!

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hi guys,

@Der.Reisende For the first issue, seems that protection worked (so there may be a UI problem). Kindly send an email with this info to support@temasoft.com. Thanks!

@vindiesel , @Mohan Rajan - For memory / disk consumption please check the system requirements. Note that immediately after install you need to reboot, and after reboot, the product performs its initial backup of files. Slower machines may render this activity obvious. If you still believe it is a bug, please contact support at support@temasoft.com

Thank you for your feedback!
Hello, if the backup is made once installed,the high ram usage was at 7 hours more or less of your installation,now I desistalacion and the ram usage is correct,not which is the problem but my PC has enough resources to qui I leave my PC :
VinDiesel Security Config

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Hello, if the backup is made once installed,the high ram usage was at 7 hours more or less of your installation,now I desistalacion and the ram usage is correct,not which is the problem but my PC has enough resources to qui I leave my PC :
VinDiesel Security Config
We will look into it, RAM usage should be around 300 MB - but then it depends on file activity and other running software.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

@CalinGhibu Hello, is there any promos for Temasoft Ranstop? Any discounts for students/universities? I think 35$ is just a bit too much, considering for that price i could buy AppGuard. I suggest to cut prices a bit if thats possible for future, you will gain more home user base and so that will equal more return for company. Thanks for this great software, it has bright future if development continues. :) "Best hackers from Romania, possibly best antiransom software as well?" :rolleyes::D:)

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
@vindiesel Hi, has the uninstall completed successfully? If there are files that cannot be removed by uninstall, you will be prompted to reboot. If you do not reboot, the files are not going to be removed. Subsequent installs will attempt to overwrite the same files and throw the error you are seeing.
Can you please attempt a reboot after this failure? Please let us know if you cannot manage and I will figure out a way to help you.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
Hi delete the folder dodnde you installed the program and still the same,greetings

Unfortunately deleting the folder where the files are leaves an incomplete installation. It is not a proper procedure, you should avoid removing software like this. Software not only uses files, it uses component registrations, drivers, services which you cannot remove by deleting. Plus there are files in use which do not get deleted... You should always use the software uninstall program which knows what to remove and how. I will ask the team to see how we can help you.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello again, when desistale the program first then restart the PC and fuy to program files and deleted the folder empty,greetings.

Another thing when tried to install new not installed full used Iobit Unistaller for your desistalacion I delete the folders,keys of the register and remains the same.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
@vindiesel It is difficult to troubleshoot this on the forum. To us, it is not clear why and if the initial uninstall (via the "Programs and Features") failed - so that you had to run an uninstall tool or perform a manual deletion. We use a driver that protects critical files against tampering or against malware that attacks security products. That driver can be stopped and removed only by using our uninstall engine.

In order to progress on this, would you accept a support representative to perform a remote session on your machine and address the situation?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@CalinGhibu
I was one of the Winners of the sponsored giveaway for your product, its been quite a while and
the winners still have no access to keys, usually after a giveaway ends it takes maybe a day at most.
Whats happening that's delaying this for so long if you don't mind me asking ?
Giveaway ended March 28th

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@CalinGhibu
I was one of the Winners of the sponsored giveaway for your product, its been quite a while and
the winners still have no access to keys, usually after a giveaway ends it takes maybe a day at most.
Whats happening that's delaying this for so long if you don't mind me asking ?
Me too.

I thought there's a new version to be released over the weekend?

Thanks

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@_CyberGhosT_ , @HarborFront Hi guys, sorry for the delay. We only got the info on Friday as there are rules to wait for everybody to send over the contact info. By the end of today, we are going to come back with the key files for at least half the participants.
That sounds nice, Thank You.
No rush I was just curious.

CalinGhibu

From TEMASOFT
Verified
Developer
Mar 15, 2017
@davisd
Hello again, getting back to you with some info regarding prices: yes we offer discounts depending on certain aspects (size, sector, etc), and yes educational institutions would qualify. If there is anyone interested in the details, please contact me. We also developed functionality targeted at business use, or use in larger environments, and this is also factored in the price. Proper pricing is a learning process, difficult to get right day one, and I am sure there are going to be changes along the way.
Another thing I think I already mentioned somewhere - there is soon going to be a free version available. Detection will be included for sure. It remains to be seen about the protection features, or the amount of them which will go in.
Thank you again for your feedback, really appreciate it!

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
@vindiesel It is difficult to troubleshoot this on the forum. To us, it is not clear why and if the initial uninstall (via the "Programs and Features") failed - so that you had to run an uninstall tool or perform a manual deletion. We use a driver that protects critical files against tampering or against malware that attacks security products. That driver can be stopped and removed only by using our uninstall engine.

In order to progress on this, would you accept a support representative to perform a remote session on your machine and address the situation?

Hello again, already managed to re-install the problem was here:
98awt1.png

Had remnants of the program and deleted you can install
2dv4y05.png

Now once installed uninstall again to see if the bug persistia and desistalo well,but there is a problem missing from control Panel -Uninstall a program,in Iobito Unistaler not this but the problem is that the program icon is still there and I open program and continues to operate without being installed.

The consumption of ram 1 gb is very high for my
Delays the startup of the PC

I'm going to do a system restore because I can not uninstall that is not found in the control Panel or Iobit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.