App Review TEST Windows Defender 4.18

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Edge is moving to chromium and the extension isn't available for Firefox so actually in a way it still supports only their own browser.

Thats not the case, the extension was released much earlier (april 2018) than the announcement of Edge Chromium and considering the huge marketshare of Chrome I dont see any issue here.

Ps: The extension can be used in other Chromium browsers.

Ps 2: Windows Defender Application Guard is available to Firefox too:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Native security on Windows is so good that I wonder how AV vendors will survive.
The only things that I wish were there

1) domain-like functionalities for families via ms online portal
2) some form of HIPs offered by MS for more techie users

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I think the next big thing for major AV vendors is complementary security. I can see the tagline now - We build on Microsoft's solid base by offering new and next gent proactive and detection techniques' Plus it's going to force innovation. Microsoft could offer some kind of plug in service in Windows security centre for third party vendors.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I think the next big thing for major AV vendors is complementary security. I can see the tagline now - We build on Microsoft's solid base by offering new and next gent proactive and detection techniques' Plus it's going to force innovation. Microsoft could offer some kind of plug in service in Windows security centre for third party vendors.

That I'd like to see, the UI already hints they may allow plugins for web filtering .

I'd actually like to see them allow UI plugins as well. A bad UI makes things unmaintainable and eg current WDAC ui (effectively their HIPS) is non existent for Windows Pro - they could even include that UI to their web dashboard pages and make life easier for managing family PCs ( I saw recently they made a small move in that direction )

Random ideas for plugins:

- Web filtering
- UI for WDAC/HIPS
- an AMSI plugin marketplace
- Parental Controls
- ASR-like extensions which could extend beyond the scope of MS products ( ASR is mostly for office atm ) and include eg the Linux runtime etc
- a firewall plugin & marketplace so that we don't need to install 3rd party apps ( which carry their own supply chain risks )

Edit: their new CEO rocks !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.