Testing environment for the more serious malware analyst

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I got this setup at home, for other purposes but it can be easily applied for malware analyzing.
Take note, this is not the cheapest solution, but still a cheap, highly reliable and professional grade alternative.

Hardware: HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

Software: Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V or VMWare vSphere Hypervisor (HP customized)

Description:
  • The server itself is a low-cost (really cheap) server for home and/or better said small businesses. It's awesome from many points of view, I highly recommend it. It also comes with iLO, which is the HP's implementation of a KVM, from where you can remotely control the server (update BIOS, power on, limited remote desktop and a lot more) - iLO comes from "Integrated Lights-Out".
  • The server is perfectly suitable for a headless setup, which translates into low energy consumption but with a XEON processor's power. It has only one case fan, which can be noisy occasionally (at boot especially), but not that much after that. You can sleep with one powered on.
  • Within iLO, you can access its "provisioning" feature, which automatically installs the OS, but also the drivers for the OS; you can also update the components firmware from here. Basically, the full installation of an OS is as easy as a few clicks, you will have the OS ready right after the first boot
  • You can use 4 HDDs (in raid, with a pro grade raid controller) + 1 SSD if you like (instead of a DVD unit), so speed and space is not an issue;
  • I can't speak of the vSphere solution (as I didn't try it, got other needs), but for anyone interested, it can be downloaded from here (must be the HP optimized version): https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI65-HPE&productId=614
  • About the Server 2016 setup I could speak all day, but it's rather obvious why I recommend it:
    • multiple uses of the server (NAS, media server, FTP server etc.) with a familiar interface (Windows)
    • The server edition Hyper-V (although I like VMWare more), has its advantages: full featured hypervisor rather than VMWare player (and so why pay for others, like Workstation)
    • Because the server has 2x gigabit network adapters, you can easily use virtual switches with Hyper-V for your virtual machines (actually it has 3, but the third one is for the iLO KVM)
    • VMs -> running live malware is not a problem

Disadvantages:
  • you can only install server OSs (VMware, Microsoft of Linux distros); there is absolutely no support for workstation version OSs
  • HP parts (including compatible memory modules) can be expensive
  • Windows Server licenses are expensive as well

Conclusions: In a small factor case, you get server-grade hardware for a headless setup, the awesome Server 2016, VMs and a lot of fun testing just about whatever you want. The server itself is cheap (considering its a server), parts can be expensive. But performance and reliability is just right for advanced home or small businesses, very well balanced.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.