Testing software in virtual environment in order to protect your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentin N

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 25, 2011
Hey everyone! :)

I know there are people that maybe want to play with beta products and I will give directions where you can get some tools to test beta product.

1) VMware. You will need to register before you can download the wanted VMware product. VMware Server is also for free.

2) Virtualbox Not all software will work as they should on VirtualBox, for instance CIS, Kaskpersky and some more.

3) Microsoft's Virtual PC

4) You can also use Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Advanced Edition to clone your existing physical machine and create a virtual machine that you can then open with VMWare Player. It's very easy to do and I haven't had any problems with the resulting virtual machines. Written by HeffeD at comodo forums

VMWare also has a converter that will make virtual clones of physical machines, but I haven't tried it.

Regards,
            Valentin N

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
RE: Testing software in virtual environment

I should probably make an addendum that Paragon Backup & Recovery can actually create clones in all of the popular VM formats, although larger VM's aren't compatible with M$ Virtual PC.

I just happen to use VMWare Player, so I can't say whether or not the VM's work well on the other virtual environments.

D

Deleted member 178

i going to install VMware (with W7 on it) and i want to know what is the best setting i can do? space, allocated RAM, etc...

new user

Jun 18, 2011
Unless you want to pay the $180 that I did for Vmware Workstation, don't use vmware player. It is completely feature deprived. MS VPC is only good for legacy Windows. If you want Free Virtualization, you should use virtual-box.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i going to install VMware (with W7 on it) and i want to know what is the best setting i can do? space, allocated RAM, etc...
x86 or x64 ?
This should be the optimal settings when installing a VM
  • 2 GB RAM (recommended)
  • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
After installing remember to defrag:
  • Your new virtual operating system.
  • Your virtual disks (Devices > Hard Disk (SCSI) > Utilities > Defragment)
    [attachment=472]
  • You real system
Another thing that you should do is to disable Windows Visual Effects, while we all like how shiny is Windows 7 , these visual effects just cause a virtual machine to appear to run slower.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 587
D

Deleted member 178

x64 Jack, do i need to update the virtual W7? it will be to testing softwares and malwares.

@new user: i use CIS and i heard that CIS dont work well with Vbox, does it change?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
x64 Jack, do i need to update the virtual W7? it will be to testing softwares and malwares.
Update..with Windows Updates right?...Yes,you should Update it because Windows has several Security Updates that in a real world could help when fighting malware and you want your test to be as "fair" as possible.:)
Also you can create a "Share folder",with shared folders, you can easily share files among virtual machines and the host computer.Of course this is just optional and you should be very careful when using this feature since this is a door to your host computer.

marsellus

May 24, 2011
For testing the software, you can use Sandboxie, even in free version. Better give this goal is of course paid, because you can create multiple sandbox and in every install yourself a program. After the tests, just empty the sandbox and have a clean system:D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Sandboxie wouldn't work if the installer needs to restart your system, install a driver etc. but for everything else... sure. The main idea is to not use your real system as a test bench and install software even if you are not sure you'll keep it.

new user

Jun 18, 2011
bogdan said:
Sandboxie wouldn't work if the installer needs to restart your system, install a driver etc. but for everything else... sure. The main idea is to not use your real system as a test bench and install software even if you are not sure you'll keep it.

There is also malware that is Sandbox-aware.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I use MS Virtual PC myself. Find it very easy to use and its quick and bug free, shame it doesn't support 64bit VM's though. I tried Virtual box but really couldn't get on with it. Also some programs like comodo don't work correctly on it (don't know if they have fixed that yet).

D

Deleted member 178

i will wait reinstall shadow defender when the next release of WRSA beta will have the issue fixed (few days as they said).

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
new user said:
Unless you want to pay the $180 that I did for Vmware Workstation, don't use vmware player. It is completely feature deprived. MS VPC is only good for legacy Windows. If you want Free Virtualization, you should use virtual-box.

Granted, VMWare Player only has a single snapshot that is over-written when you restart the machine, but I've had no trouble with it.

D

Deleted member 178

VMware x64 guests seems not compatible with my laptop, it dont recognize it as a x64 architecture, during the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.