Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo fw is still lighter standalone than those builds
So is comodo internet security aswell

Anyways windows defender + voodooshield is good enough, dont even bother with fortinet imo

Are current browsers + extensions up to date right now?

Reactions: bribon77

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Comodo fw is still lighter standalone than those builds
So is comodo internet security aswell

Anyways windows defender + voodooshield is good enough, dont even bother with fortinet imo

Are current browsers + extensions up to date right now?

Yeah I do not use Fortinet anymore. The portable Firefox is up to date and the extensions as well.

Last edited:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
The whole system is new and reconfigured. No more useless applications or extensions.
The system is very stable and fast. Obviously because there are no useless applications or services.

• Only a few installed apps mostly because there is no portable version or the shell integration is important
  • They don't start automatically. I turned them off!
Performance
  • Uninstalled some windows features (IE, xboxlive, onenote, games, etc.)
  • Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations
  • Windows Defender is off
Security
  • Basic security tweaks (autoplay disabled, smartscreen, UAC max etc.)
  • Security software tweaks: OSArmor, Win10 Shutup
  • Firewall: Inbound and outbound connections that do not match the rule are blocked
  • Only a few programs have Internet access
  • Windows Firewall Control is the only program that allowed to change the Firewall rules
- I prefer redundant backup, so this way the chance to lose my data is extremely small

System Backup
  • I can restore the whole system within 5 minutes with Macrium Reflect
  • The image file is uploaded to the cloud too
Online Backup
  • MEGA (paid): sensitive files are encrypted with 7zip.
  • Non-sensitive files are not encrypted.
  • Mobile and PC sync.
  • GDrive, PCloud free
Offline backup
  • 2 different SSD and 1 USB drive
  • Sensitive files are unencrypted but the whole partition/drive/usb is protected by Bitlocker
Passwords
  • Bitwarden online password manager (browser extension)
  • My passwords have 2 backup. Physical and digital. The digital one is protected with cascade encryption and uploaded to the cloud.
  • I do not think the real privacy is achievable , so I don't really care. I am not a criminal and I focus on security instead of paying for placebo services. I protect my whole life from cyber stalkers.
  • VPN because I use sometimes open WIFI and I don't like my ISP.
  • I do not share any info or photos on the social networks anymore. I use a lookalike photo!

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Very good & rock solid setup. Everything is very well and truly covered. Most common attack surfaces are covered. Browsing habits look good. Thanks for sharing!

~LDogg

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
- Enabled OneDrive free as a secondary online backup. Deleted GDrive and pCloud accounts.
- I removed Voodooshield and OSArmor (I do not need them anymore. SRP powa!)
- I disabled the auto start of all unnecessary programs and services. Now the system consumes 1,3 GB RAM.
- Removed Windscribe client. OpenVPN is better IMO.
- Removed UBlock Origin and Privacy badger. I don't like to add more and more unnecessary addons. Less is better IMO.

I need to figure out why Windscribe is slow. I tried different ports, locations, TCP, UDP, ciphers. No luck. If I can't make it better I need to switch in the next month.

Reactions: harlan4096

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Enabled OneDrive free as a secondary online backup.
I like using the Alt+Prt Scr option, then editing in Photos app (or Paint). Requires OneDrive client to be running, so if you disabled at boot, it won't work.

1539960125123.png

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I need to figure out why Windscribe is slow. I tried different ports, locations, TCP, UDP, ciphers. No luck. If I can't make it better I need to switch in the next month.
Even on IKEv2? Try manual configs with closest location and with UDP, 443. Import to OpenVPN. I was having similiar unstable/slow/disconnect problems. Windscribe's stable and beta clients feel shitty on my Edu as well, servers mostly are not the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I tried every config with openVPN client but I got shitty speed.
I also tried IKEv2 same speed.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.