Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Password attacks are on the rise because passwords themselves are very vulnerable to attack. What specifically makes them vulnerable? This year’s Weak Password Report takes a look at both the human side and the tech side of why passwords are the weakest link in an organization’s network.

From real world attack data to passwords inspired by pop culture, the 2022 Weak Password Report has insights into just how vulnerable passwords truly are.

Some highlights:
  • 93% of the passwords used in brute force attacks include 8 or more characters
  • 54% of organizations do not have a tool to manage work passwords
  • The Cincinnati Reds top the list of most popular baseball teams found in compromised password lists
  • 48% of organizations do not have user verification in place for calls to the IT service desk
  • 41% of passwords used in real attacks are 12 characters or longer
  • 42% of seasonal passwords contained the word “summer”
  • 68% of passwords used in real attacks include at least two character types
The research in this report has been compiled through proprietary surveys and data analysis of 800 million breached passwords, a subset of the more than 2 billion breached passwords within Specops Breached Password Protection list. The data analysis looked at any password containing words within a particular theme. While it is impossible to say that using the word “angels” in a password is related to the baseball team in Los Angeles, the prevalence of words related to the themes demonstrates the problems of password reuse and compromised passwords.

The data in this report should bring awareness to this all-too common problem. The next step is to take action, which means blocking weak and compromised passwords, enforcing password length requirements, enforcing user verification at the service desk and auditing the enterprise environment to highlight password-related vulnerabilities.
Pdf-report:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
On Bleeping Computer now (sponsored by Specops):
The top 5 things the 2022 Weak Password Report means for IT security
1. Password Length Does Not Guarantee Password Safety
2. Password Is Often Seasonal or Influenced by Pop Culture
3. Password Complexity Does Not Prevent Credential Theft
4. Password Overload is a Big Problem
5. Organizations Could Be Doing a Lot More to Keep Passwords Safe

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I've been tired of trying for a long time.

My girlfriend use 1 simple password everywhere (I know, I know :D ) but her digital life is so simple.
She doesn't even care those things that was mentioned above. She use 2FA on 3 sites (facebook, gmail, bank). That's all.
In contrast I use password manager, 150+ bit passwords, 2FA, veracrypt, keyfiles, different clouds and external drives for backup etc and my life is full of inconveniences.

:cautious:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I've been tired of trying for a long time.

My girlfriend use 1 simple password everywhere (I know, I know :D ) but her digital life is so simple.
She doesn't even care those things that was mentioned above. She use 2FA on 3 sites (facebook, gmail, bank). That's all.
In contrast I use password manager, 150+ bit passwords, 2FA, veracrypt, keyfiles, different clouds and external drives for backup etc and my life is full of inconveniences.

:cautious:
Yep, most accounts don’t need that level of security. But we (security enthusiasts) all have the built in paranoia. It’s similar to the online privacy fight. I’ve mostly moved to considering my online endeavors to be done in public and not worry about it. I’m too tired.

Numeriku

Level 2
Verified
Mar 13, 2022
1650812595098.png

I am fine with my 16 char password, i have it memorized in my mind after years using it, though i constantly check if the password is breached on any of the companies i use.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Weak passwords have always been one of the worst IT security pandemics. They can unravel even the strongest & most resilient of endpoint security configs and networks.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.