Guide | How To The Beginners Guide To Sandboxie

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Hello "Community"!

I wanted to write this article after remembering the frustration of trying to understand sandboxie when I was a newbie at security (2 years ago). A few days ago I installed it again, and after hours of searching articles, I finally felt confident to use sandboxie permanently. I decided to put aside an hour or two to write this article so.. umm... everybody else doesn't need to spend hours reading guides.

Installing

Installing is pretty straightforward for sandboxie. Install using default settings and you're all set! The free version is enough for security, but the pro version adds more convenience as you can:

-Automatically run programs in a sandbox, no need to manually add the program

-Run 2 or more sandboxes at the same time (So your browser and email is separated from your suspicious software)
Also keep in mind that the freeware version has a delay in protection.

What does Sandboxie do, anyways?

Sandboxie is like a container in a box. If you run a browser in a sandbox, you will separate it from the real system, almost like a virtual computer but they are still related more, like you can still browse your documents to upload an important document into Dropbox. However, if malware comes in by a drive by download, it will not be able to write into the system, only infecting the sandbox contents.

Now for my favorite real life scenario scenes...

You have a closet full of clothes. You find out that your sweaters are wet, so you put them in a separate box inside the closet. The wet clothes then won't ruin the good ones and you will put them in the dryer later.

Configuring Sandboxie

Sandboxing the web browser:
Open the sandbox window and click Sandbox>>Defaultbox>>Run In Sandbox>>Web Browser

to open your default web browser in the sandbox. Alternately you could also go to the desktop and double click on the default web browser in sandbox icon.
If you want to run another browser in the sandbox you must:

Sandbox>>Defaultbox>>Run In Sandbox>>Other Program and surf to Program Files and find the web browser application. If you need more help with this step PM me please.

Email Client

If you have a email client like Thunderbird or Outlook, you might want to run it in a sandbox too. If you want to run your default email client in a sandbox, go to Sandbox>>Defaultbox>>Run in Sandbox>>Email Client

Then navigate to Sandbox>>Defaultbox>>Sandbox Settings and Click on Applications to expand the list and click on Email. Select your client from the list and apply the changes.

Run another program in the sandbox
If you want to run another program in the sandbox you can go to

Sandbox>>Defaultbox>>Run In Sandbox>>Other Program

And select that program.

Well that's it for today! Note that there are much more settings that can be tweaked, this is just a basic guide.

See'ya :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
I wanted to explain that this guide is for the free version mainly and does not cover pro version features. If you want to autorun a web browser in a sandbox, go to Sandbox>DefaultBox>Sandbox Settings>Applications>Browsers and add the first rule that is displayed once you click on your favorite web browser.

Reactions: Azure

taiowa72

Nov 18, 2014
How many have actually installed and enjoyed Sandboxie? I installed it and found it very annoying and frustrating. It got in the way of EVERYTHING and finally I just uninstalled it with relief. Was I doing something wrong?

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
How many have actually installed and enjoyed Sandboxie? I installed it and found it very annoying and frustrating. It got in the way of EVERYTHING and finally I just uninstalled it with relief. Was I doing something wrong?
Could have been. I did the same and uninstalled it as it just did my nut in.
Certainly is an infuriating program, the developers could well try to make it a little more user friendly as it's pretty confusing if you don't have a degree in rocket science or whatever!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Could have been. I did the same and uninstalled it as it just did my nut in.
Certainly is an infuriating program, the developers could well try to make it a little more user friendly as it's pretty confusing if you don't have a degree in rocket science or whatever!
This guide here is for the free version and is very basic.I have never found it annoying or frustrating.It has to be hands down one of the best free and paid programs. If you configure it to open your web browser when you start the program it will open your browser and you will be browsing within the safety of the sandbox.It is very simple and very effective on the security side of things.There are advanced guides on the internet also for the free & paid version settings as well.Of course the free version does not have the same settings as the paid version but it has always been this way prior to Invicea purchasing it.Even if you don't use it daily it is a very nice free program to have at your disposal.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Sandboxie is a very good program but you have to understand it

yes it can be annoying but if you use it right it is like bulletproof protection for
your forward facing internet risks

it can be a pain to get things out of a Sandboxie for the browser but the containment it gives you can be useful
for installing software into and to uninstall the software just close the Sandboxie and poof all gone ;)

:)

James

taiowa72

Nov 18, 2014
It's been a year, but from past experience, it was literary like being in a box. I mean I couldn't do very much of anything that I wanted to do such as downloading and stuff. It wouldn't let me! I'd scream!! But I guess ill give it another whirl. I was turned on to it by another student in my Computer Security class so I installed it. I read through the how to's and whatever but I was just confused. I kept trying to give it another chance to understand what its purpose was and why it 'kept getting in the way," I finally uninstalled. Maybe it's better now or easier to use and understand now?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well actually from the first place its a little bit confusing because it will add to your computer habit to browse on the website all the time in sandboxed. ;)

No need to configure, if want to browse on suspicious website so use it, then next just delete all the contents.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.