Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
PCMAG said:
Almost all of the major security vendors have released their 2012 security suites already, counting both those with "2012" in the name and those released since the first 2012 edition appeared. Their prices range from under $40 to almost $90, but the most expensive aren't necessarily the most effective. Even though quite a few haven't been updated yet, a couple of clear winners have emerged—though the late releases could surprise me.

For the moment, however, Norton Internet Security 2012 ($69.99 direct for three licenses, 4.5 stars) excels in all areas, with no component rating less than four stars. Even in areas like spam filtering and parental control, weak points for many suites, Norton does a great job. And its smart firewall protects against a wide variety of attacks.

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete ($79.95 direct for three licenses, 4.5 stars) is this season's breakout success. Totally rewritten, its core components occupy less than 600KB of disk space. In my testing Webroot achieved a first-ever perfect score for malware blocking. And its online backup and file synchronization goes way beyond almost all of the competition. Webroot and Norton currently share the Editors' Choice honor for security suites.

320570-2012-security-suites.jpg

Read more>>

As you can see on the above table , NIS 2012 and Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete got the Editor Choice award.
What's really hard to understand is how McAfee Total Protection 2012 manage to get 4 stars while the suites from Kaspersky , F-Secure , VIPRE , G-DATA , ESET only managed to get 3 stars or less...
[attachment=929]

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 561

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
Woww.NIS is very good antivirus but I am big fan for avast :).

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
LiLWaYnE said:
Woww.NIS is very good antivirus but I am big fan for avast :).

Agreed Norton is a very good suite. No other really comes close to Norton.

D

Deleted member 178

Strange I saw many test of webroot SA and its detection were not so great. Maybe I should test it again.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
I love Norton and Kaspersky and for webroot when i tested it..... it failed..... like failed. It didn't detect any of my Zero day's and for its regular detection.....it did okay but not good enough and I tested it about a week ago. I don't understand why it scored pretty well in PCmag. I also looked at other user reviews and it also failed pretty bad. So..... Yeah..... Bitdefender has been doing pretty well too and why does Panda global protection score low, It did amazing in my test and some other users.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
There are a lot of good products out there. I bet if you tweak the settings on some of these suites you may get better results. The article doesn't really say, but these were probably tested with their default install options. Glad to see NIS still performing well.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I do not believe these pc mag guys. And kaspersky is not worth 3 or 3.5stars.Eset is also pretty good. But yet those reviews are good and help in comparison.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
NIS definitely would be the editor choice, since with the pros of light, easy to use and superb detection/performance. A must have for any users who have budget.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I take these results with a huge grain of salt... Don't believe them. But thanks for the share.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For PC Mag their test isn't not biased but not accurate at all so need more than second opinion to determine the test.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
Mcafee 4 stars really:huh:.......it is one of the worst security suites ever:dodgy:

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I agree with MrXidus, I also do not believe them.
thanks for share ;)

I am not exaggerate the problem.
but, why McAfee with a big installer and not a good detection rate (below average) can get 4 stars?
is there play behind the scenes of this test?

LochNess

Apr 2, 2011
I'm not surprised at PCmag's review of Webroot... Last year, they claimed that Webroot's A/V was the best...

'Tongue in Cheek' might be the approach for most A/V tests... too many variables in methodology, along with possible incentives... JMO

I simply peruse and catalog with other tests including those submitted by independents (i.e., MalwareTips Forum)... I appreciate those submitted on forum... Thanks for you effort and hard work 'Folks'... keep those VM's 'fired up' :)

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I actually think that PCMAG give these rating based mostly on the product features/components , for instance McAfee got 4 starts because it had included a back-up feature.......
I was looking at the latest Av-test results and Webroot SA Complete only got a 3.5 out 6 points in the detection field so it pretty much failed ...with this in mind I can safely say that PCMag didn't do a conclusive malware test but just a product overview...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.