The best on-demand scanners that allow user choice before deleting things?

Best on-demand scanners?

• Hitman Pro

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Malwarebytes

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • SUPERAntispyware

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norton Power Eraser

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Panda Cloud Cleaner

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Zemana AntiMalware

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Comodo Cleaning Essentials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESET OnlineScanner

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm interested in scanners that allow you to disable PUPs/PUAs detection because I think security programs tend to be over-zealous in calling things PUPs. I use Process Explorer and WinPatrol; if something unexpected creeps into my autostart configuration I'll know about it pretty soon.

I'm interested in scanners that will really truly let me look at all their detections before zapping something.

When people think about on-demand scanners they tend to think of the free versions of Malwarebytes, Zemana AntiMalware, Hitman Pro, maybe SUPERAntispyware. But keep in mind that almost all of the antivirus big boys, like Kaspersky, Sophos, Emsisoft, ESET, Norton, McAfee, eScan, Trend Micro, have free on-demand scanners that one can download. I think we ought to consider those programs as well. Some of you might want to recommend those free programs on the basis of your experience with their antivirus's on-demand performance.

I run Emsisoft Smart Security, and it's quite good. But when I ran an on-demand scan on my old system with it for the first time it froze before completing the scan.

I ran that scan because of suggestions by some of possible malware problems in view of the situation I've had all this year with notifications that something on my computer is trying to contact foreign computers, mostly Taiwanese, mostly hinet.net. It's been suggested that the initiative is really coming from outside my system rather than from my system. I posted about it here.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 9.0.408.0
Firewall: ESET Smart Security 9.0.408.0
Default Browser: Maxthon

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I voted for Zemana, HMP, Norton and emsisoft
another one that worth mentioned is herdProtect

Best online on-demand scanner: Zemana
Best offline: Emsisoft

Why? Because they are FREE, have High detection rate, good against PUPs, especially zemana, have a very very fast scanning speed (very important to me) and they have at least 2 engines. The more engines they have, the better the result for on-demand scanners

The only problem with zemana is we have to manually scan "Users" folder where malwares usually reside as we have tested several times in Malware Hub. The default System scan doesn't scan the Users folder

Kaspersky should not be considered because you don't want to waste 8-12 hours of your life for a scan

Norton Power Eraser is like a file reputation checker. Very useful tool. Malware files usually have low number of users

HMP can be used to detect malwares and tracking cookies, then we have to manualy remove malwares

herdProtect can be useful because it's able to detect google chrome bad extensions. It has 68 engines but the detection rate is not higher than ZAM as I observed.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Emsisoft , Zemana, and Hitmanpro

Emsisoft: Great offline, signature not cloud, two engines

Zemana: Amazing cloud, many engines, best detection

Hitmanpro: Great cloud, three engines, second best detection, best tracking cookie

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Depending on the real time protection I use the following most often
Emsisoft Emergency Kit > Use most of the time except on machine with Emsisoft Internet Security
Zemana Antimalware
ESET Online Scanner > except on machines with ESET installed

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I haven't used those programs from the lists for quite some time now. Reasons? Hitman Pro, too many FP. MBAM takes too long to scan. SAS, I think is no longer as effective as it used to be. EEK, haven't updated my version for years.

What I do these days is to install 360 TSE with the signatures included, scan and uninstall, or use Avira PC Cleaner.

I'm interested in scanners that allow you to disable PUPs/PUAs detection because I think security programs tend to be over-zealous in calling things PUPs. I use Process Explorer and WinPatrol; if something unexpected creeps into my autostart configuration I'll know about it pretty soon.

I'm interested in scanners that will really truly let me look at all their detections before zapping something.

When people think about on-demand scanners they tend to think of the free versions of Malwarebytes, Zemana AntiMalware, Hitman Pro, maybe SUPERAntispyware. But keep in mind that almost all of the antivirus big boys, like Kaspersky, Sophos, Emsisoft, ESET, Norton, McAfee, eScan, Trend Micro, have free on-demand scanners that one can download. I think we ought to consider those programs as well. Some of you might want to recommend those free programs on the basis of your experience with their antivirus's on-demand performance.

I run Emsisoft Smart Security, and it's quite good. But when I ran an on-demand scan on my old system with it for the first time it froze before completing the scan.

I ran that scan because of suggestions by some of possible malware problems in view of the situation I've had all this year with notifications that something on my computer is trying to contact foreign computers, mostly Taiwanese, mostly hinet.net. It's been suggested that the initiative is really coming from outside my system rather than from my system. I posted about it here.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 9.0.408.0
Firewall: ESET Smart Security 9.0.408.0
Default Browser: Maxthon

Emsisoft Emergency Kit lets you review all detections. Then it is up to the user to quarantine, delete, restore, etc.

Same with HitmanPro, unless they changed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I haven't used those programs from the lists for quite some time now. Reasons? Hitman Pro, too many FP. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware takes too long to scan. SAS, I think is no longer as effective as it used to be. EEK, haven't updated my version for years.

What I do these days is to install 360 TSE with the signatures included, scan and uninstall, or use Avira PC Cleaner.
360 will all signatures loaded: I doubt it has lower detection rate than zemana and hitman pro. Zemana has a super fast scanning speed

avira PC cleaner has low detection rate. It's nowhere near avira free antivirus. I tried to scan by PC cleaner and then free, free detected a lot more. The speed is slower compared to zemana

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
My voice EEK as well as a good Zeman.
I use the same EEK.
from time to time, Eset Online Scaner although this particular scaner its scan takes about 1.5 hours, but Komus in no hurry it should not bother you.

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
I voted for:) Zemana Antimalware, HitmanPro, Emsisoft and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
Best online on-demand scanners: Zemana Antimalware, HitmanPro
Best offline: Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
My vote goes to Hitman Pro, as it was the only scanner to find and remove a virus which had infected some PC's at work. I knew there was something on the PC trying to communicate with its master as our perimeter firewall was blocking the unusual traffic coming from the PC's. I tried every online and offline scanner I could get my hands on but only Hitman Pro saved the day!

Always had great respect for Surfright and its products ever since.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Emsisoft Emergency Kit lets you review all detections. Then it is up to the user to quarantine, delete, restore, etc.

Same with HitmanPro, unless they changed it.

Thanks. I would like to hear about the other scanners as to whether they allow user discretion and whether they allow leaving out PUPs detection. I have to admit candidly that I haven't scanned my system as often as I would like and as often as I used to because I think to myself "I don't think I'll be up to dealing with a big load of false positives tomorrow." (I always scan overnight.)

My vote goes to Hitman Pro, as it was the only scanner to find and remove a virus which had infected some PC's at work. I knew there was something on the PC trying to communicate with its master as our perimeter firewall was blocking the unusual traffic coming from the PC's. I tried every online and offline scanner I could get my hands on but only Hitman Pro saved the day!

Interesting. I have the Hitman Pro package. Unfortunately I haven't been running HPA because of a conflict with SpyShelter that SpyShelter support didn't enable me to resolve. I should have gone to Surfright support, but I got caught up in other things. I think I will run Hitman Pro tonight.

Reactions: askmark and AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.