Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
The best password manager 2016:

Keep your passwords secure
Passwords are a pain. It's easy to mock the people using '12345678' for everything, but creating and recalling strong passwords that are unique to each website is a huge PITA. Thank goodness, then, for password managers: not only do they do the remembering so you don't have to, but they can usually do all the typing too.

The apps we've selected here are all master password managers, and many of them have useful extra features too. Have we missed your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.

LastPass saves all your usernames and passwords in an encrypted online vault - even if you have multiple accounts for the same site.
There are two versions of LastPass - free and premium. Both can store an unlimited number of account logins in a secure vault protected by a master password, will complete online forms for you automatically, and can employ multi-factor authentication.

The premium edition also syncs across multiple devices, stores passwords for desktop programs, and lets you share secured folders with other people. with customizable permissions.

One of LastPass's best features is its ability to generate strong, unguessable passwords for all your accounts, which it then stores for you. There's no need to remember long, awkward streams of characters, or re-use the same password for multiple accounts. It's a class act.
Dashlane not only stores paswords - it also includes a digital wallet to store card details for quick and safe shopping online. No more typing out long credit card numbers.

Dashlane is LastPass's most serious rival, and like LastPass it's absolutely superb with strong password security, exceptional ease of use and ability to store notes for future reference.

It works on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS and with Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, and like LastPass there's a premium version that adds unlimited syncing and sharing. That costs US$39.99 (about £30.24, AU$52.86) per year, but the free version provides all the essentials: you get the core password manager, autofill and digital wallet features, all of which work flawlessly. Don't settle for LastPass without trying Dashlane first, and vice versa.
One of True Key's most appealing features is its ability to log you into accounts automatically when you visit the site's homepage. It also uses two-factor authentication to protect your details.
True Key, by Intel Security, is the successor to the hugely popular PasswordBox. In addition to using a master password to protect all your other passwords, True Key can also recognize your fingerprint or your face for two-factor authentication. It's free for up to 15 passwords, and after that the premium version is £19.99, (US$19.99, AU$19.95) per year.

The app is available for PC, Mac, iOS and Android, although fingerprint recognition isn't available on Mac or Android yet
Roboform claims to be the world's best password manager, though its free version only lets you store up to 10 logins and lacks the breadth of features offered by some of its rivals. If you need to store more passwords, a premium account costs US$9.95 (about £7.55, AU£13.20) for the first year, though the mobile apps are free.

It's available for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android, and is a good option for anybody who wants a simple and secure way to sync passwords between desktop, laptop and mobile devices.

RoboForm doesn't have quite the same features lists as Dashlane or LastPass, but it's a very good app nonetheless and the free mobile apps are excellent.
Keeper Desktop makes good use of multi-factor authentication (something you know, something you own and something you are) - in this case a password, a fingerprint and a smartwatch.
Keeper is available for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and Linux, and its autofill extension works in all the major browsers. The free version is limited to a single device with local password storage, and the £20.99 (US$29.99, about AU$39.62)Individual plan offers unlimited password storage and syncing, fingerprint authentication and a web app. There's also a Family plan at £44.99 (US$59.99, about AU$79.17) per year for five users.

In addition to passwords there's also a digital vault for secure storage of photos, videos and documents, all of which are backed up securely if you're a subscriber. If you own a smartwatch, you can use it for two-factor authentication, which is a nice touch.
Passport Depot not only stores your passwords and usernames, it also protects credit card details and software registration details. If you need to reinstall Windows in a hurry, all your registration keys will be there on your smartphone. Very handy.
Password Depot offers a free 30-day trial for 20 devices, after which you'll be asked to hand over US$29.95 (about £22.62, AU$39.52) for the full version. The app enables you to generate and store passwords and move them to a USB device or phone as well as on your PC, and it can store credit card numbers securely.

The PC app is complemented by mobile apps for iOS and Android, and there's an option to attach files to password entries that you can use to encrypt and securely store important documents. It also enables you to import passwords from other apps, which is handy if you've fallen out of love with an existing password manager.
Keepass is open source, which means it's supported by a team of volunteer coders who will pick up and repair security vulnerabilities quickly.
It isn't the prettiest password manager around, but KeePass Password Safe is both free and open source with strong security, multiple user support and a whole bunch of plugins to expand the app further. The app is small enough to run from USB without installing on a PC, it can input from and output to a wide range of file formats and there are stacks of customization options to play with.

The fact that KeePass is open source means anybody can inspect the code for potential weaknesses, which means that any security issues can be identified and fixed quickly. It's a great little app, if a bit intimidating for absolute beginners.
1Password is convenient but relatively costly. It's designed with family use in mind.
1Password is free for 30 days and then US$2.99 (about £2.26, AU$3.95) per monthfor an individual or US$4.99 (about £3.77, AU$6.59) for a family of up to five people. The app is available for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android, includes 1GB of secure file storage and keeps track of your item history for a full year, enabling you to recover deleted items or passwords. The family version adds document and password sharing, permission control for other family members and account recovery for family members who forget their logins.

It's a nice app, especially on the Mac and on iOS, where it can use TouchID for authentication.
Sticky Password has a straightforward interface and the mobile apps use your device's fingerprint scanner for biometric authentication.
Sticky Password comes from the team behind AVG Antivirus, so you can be confident that security is its top priority. There are two versions of Sticky Password:free and premium. The latter adds cloud syncing and backup and costs £29.99 (about US$39.64, AU$52.44) a year.

The app works on PC, Mac, Android and iOS, supports fingerprint authentication on mobile, is available as a portable USB version and offers lots of synchronisation options including Wi-Fi syncing with local devices. It doesn't support the Edge browser just yet but it will once the Anniversary Update introduces extension support.
If you use a Mac, you already have an excellent password manager in the form of iCloud Keychain.
If you're on a Mac, don't forget the password manager you already have. Apple's own iCloud Keychain may not have all the advanced features of 1Password or LastPass, but it does a perfectly decent job of generating and managing strong passwords as well as securely storing and using your credit card details, logins for various servers, wireless network accounts and anything else involving logins.

It's an Apple-only affair - iOS, OS X and macOS are the only supported platforms - but if you don't need PC or Android access then that's not a problem.

MT members: Which of the above password managers do you use?..& do you recommend it to others?
If you do not use one of these 10,then which password manager (If any) do you use?

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
LastPass. Got my first year of Premium for free (a friend shared an invite with me), and I paid this year, and will continue to do so. Really worth it. It took me a few hours to go through all my websites, add them to LastPass and change all the passwords to 25 character ones (randomized using LastPass' generator).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There are only a couple software I pay for as I am fortunate to get many for free.
LastPass is definitely one that I do pay and the only one I use.
As @Aura said above I too had a free year of premium and I just paid for another year of premium.
I recently tried Kaspersky Password Manager from a giveaway but it does not come near the features of Lastpass or some of the other password mangers

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I also don't pay for a lot of software, since I use freewares, open-source programs or have access to paid software for free, but LastPass is really one worth paying for.

If I wasn't using LastPass, I would probably use 1Password (paid).

Honestly, I tried KeePass and it's good, but I couldn't be bothered to set the whole thing up. I'm sure that once it's set however, it works extremely well.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
For main desktop device used Roboform pro (lifetime licence)many years enables multiple account passwords for websites for family etc use , lastpass only one per site. Tried lastpass on laptop until emailed that their security breached & requested to change password.Ditched it & use Roboform free - 10 passwords allowed. Dont see point of using password manager which unsafe.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Google's YOLO Password Manager Promises 'You Only Log-in Once'

Google and Dashlane have partnered to the acronym YOLO a slightly new meaning. The Open YOLO — “You Only Login Once” — API to remove the last excuse for not using a password manager.

“To stay one-step ahead of the market demand,” Dashlane wrote in its announcement of the API, “Google and Dashlane are helping create a seamless, universally-acceptable Android app authentication solution to increase your online security.”

In simpler terms, this means that Android developers will now be able to make their apps find their login data in a password manager, request access to that data, and use it. This is much more convenient than copying an item from a password manager, switching to the other app, and pasting it in a text field.

This means that more people can use a password manager without having to worry about being frustrated when they try to sign in to an app. That’s good news, because using a password manager is currently the easiest way to make sure your most personal information isn’t going to be compromised by a weak password.

People suck at coming up with passwords, especially if they have to replace them on a regular basis. That’s why many people use “password,” “12345678,” or some variation of a password like “ZeldaFan88” or “ZeldaFan89” on multiple sites.

Those passwords are easy to remember, but they’re also easy to guess. And even if a password is less simple, like “Rf*3PJ,6Ba,” using it across multiple websites means that a security breach on any of those sites puts all of the others at risk. The solution: Tools that create and remember passwords that are truly secure.

So if a 19-year-old Windows bug reveals your Microsoft account password, for instance you don’t have to worry about that same password being used to access your Facebook account. One failure doesn’t result in a disaster.

Password managers also have some benefits over biometric security, not least of them being the fact that hackers can’t 3D print a password to access your phone. That can’t be said for biometric security, as horrifying as that seems.

The problem is getting information out of password managers. This is easy in a web browser — most password managers offer extensions that can automatically fill information — but harder in applications. Open YOLO promises to address that issue so people don’t get frustrated and give up on improving their cybersecurity.

“This project is the first big step towards making security simple and accessible for every user, on every device,” Dashlane writes in its announcement. “In the future, we see this open API going beyond just Android devices, and becoming universally-implemented by apps and password managers across every platform and operating system. Ultimately, we look forward to expanding this collaborative project, so that it will benefit the entire security ecosystem as a whole.”

Continue reading this article at the link at the top of this post

MT Members: All my future Password Manager Articles will be posted on this thread

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the thread, @Logethica :)

I use RoboForm for years (Desktop version).

I paid one time for the version 6 (update not limited for this version, for other years),
and only paid a second time when I wanted the version 7 (when IE 11 was first installed ).
Never paid again since this purchase, because the version is still 7 (7.9.20.5).... :)

1050 days => 2.8 years !

But for version 7, I paid 24,95 EUR (was the price in this period)
(27 sep 2013 )

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.