RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi! I thought maybe we could do a list with security software according to each users needs. And I would like your coments to update the list! Just comment a program (AV, complement, antiexe, etc) and where you'd put it:

PRIMARY AV''s

Robust
(AV you'd recommend as a first and only line of defense)
  • Kaspersky Internet Security
  • G-Data Internet Security
  • Norton Internet Security
  • Bitdefender Internet Security
Light (those that protect just the necessary and offer low resource consuming, probably for advanced users)
  • Eset
  • McAfee Internet Security
Balanced (between lightness and protection)
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Trend Micro Internet Security

COMPLEMENTS

Anti-executables

• Example
  • Example
Anti-malware
  • Example
  • Example
  • Example
Companion AV
  • Example
  • Example
Exploit protection
  • Example
  • Example
System hardeners
  • Example
  • Example

The idea for this thread is for people to come and check what programs they should use for their security combos! Feel free to suggest software (indicate where you'd put it) and/or sections! I will update the post everytime.
Anti-malware: Zemana AntiMalware, Norton Power Eraser
Companion AV: Immunet

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
This post just expresses my opinion and is purely derived from my very limited experience.

PRIMARY AV''s

Robust
Light (those that protect just the necessary and offer low resource consuming, probably for advanced users)
  • Eset
  • Mcafee Internet Security
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
COMPLEMENTS

I have nearly no experience in this section

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This post just expresses my opinion and is purely derived from my very limited experience.

PRIMARY AV''s

Robust
  • Eset
  • Mcafee Internet Security
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
COMPLEMENTS

I have nearly no experience in this section
Great additions! I update my post with them :)

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
The broadest list I know was already mentioned on this forum...earlier was known as "Probably the Best Free Security List in the World"
Now it's called "Free Windows Desktop Software Security List"

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Perhaps a decent finish to your list. Didn't know if an application can appear more than once. Also, category firewall is important imo...

COMPLEMENTS

Anti-executables

• Comodo Firewall
  • VoodooShield
Anti-malware
  • Malwarebytes
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit
  • Zemana Anti-malware
Companion AV
  • Hitman Pro Alert
  • Zone Alarm Firewall
Exploit protection
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
  • EMET 5.5
System hardeners
  • Hard_Configurator
  • SysHardener
  • NVT OSArmor

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Perhaps a decent finish to your list. Didn't know if an application can appear more than once. Also, category firewall is important imo...

COMPLEMENTS

Anti-executables

• Comodo Firewall
  • VoodooShield
Anti-malware
  • Malwarebytes
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit
  • Zemana Anti-malware
Companion AV
  • Hitman Pro Alert
  • Zone Alarm Firewall
Exploit protection
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
  • EMET 5.5
System hardeners
  • Hard_Configurator
  • SysHardener
  • NVT OSArmor

Good additions AtlBo.

Maybe consider re-naming "Anti-malware" to "2nd Opinion Scanner" or "Malware Scanners" or some such term. This is under the assumption that these are not 'premium' products with real-time protection.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Was thinking about that. I don't know if there are any real anti-malware programs anymore, like WinPatrol used to be anti-malware and SuperAntiSpyware is long gone. Zemana Pro is still anti-malware and Malwarebytes sure seems like it to me, even if it's not worth the resources on the PC. Don't see MBAM to be an internet suite or a-v like they were supposedly going for.

Hitman Pro Alert is a super hyped anti-malware, but I wasn't sure I could use one once or more. Wanted HMPA for companion a-v, because I couldn't think of many. Zone Alarm could only be here if it's a-v module is installed I guess. Maybe a good place for Cylance?

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
What do you think about this program

MEMORY SENTRY
Signature-less anti-exploit protection.

Memory Sentry provides runtime application protection against memory-safety vulnerabilities. Memory Sentry disrupts an attacker's ability to successfully exploit software vulnerabilities that can lead to system compromise.

Memory Sentry is completely signature-less and unlike other claimed anti-exploit solutions that really just look for payload activity or specific behaviors, Memory Sentry breaks the exploit kill-chain so attacks simply fail.

Memory Sentry is still in development and portions of it is funded in part through a grant from the US Department of Homeland Security's Silicon Valley Innovation Program (SVIP).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.