The difference between cross-platform and multi-platform?

G

Genux

Thread author
Hope I have posted this in the right place. What's the difference?

If a mobile video-game is multi-platform, is it cross-platform or not?

Because I play Fortnite Battle Royale on my iPhone XS Max, but I'm not understanding why I cannot play with everyone on all platforms. Does that make sense? Thank you for help.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Cross-platform = PC, Xbox and PS4 can play same game between each other

Multi-platform = Same game gets released on different platforms, usually PC and consoles

Reason why they are often multi-platform is to maximize profits, reason why they aren't cross-platform often is because PC players would usually absolutely demolish everyone else with keyboard+mouse combo with surgical precision and multitasking capability (the amount of buttons that can be assigned to do something).

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Cross-platform = PC, Xbox and PS4 can play same game between each other

Multi-platform = Same game gets released on different platforms, usually PC and consoles

Reason why they are often multi-platform is to maximize profits, reason why they aren't cross-platform often is because PC players would usually absolutely demolish everyone else with keyboard+mouse combo with surgical precision and multitasking capability (the amount of buttons that can be assigned to do something).
Excellent explanation. Many multi-platform games try not to be cross-platform exactly for the advantage reason. That's why many times you will get banned if you're detected using a keyboard/mouse while playing an Android game.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thread author
Excellent explanation. Many multi-platform games try not to be cross-platform exactly for the advantage reason. That's why many times you will get banned if you're detected using a keyboard/mouse while playing an Android game.
I agree, being a long time PC gamer I am far more comfortable/accurate with a keyboard and mouse than a controller. This may change though as I know Microsoft is bringing keyboard and mouse support to the xbox and I am assuming Sony won't be to far behind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It may make certain players have an advantage over others, but it may also open up the platform to more games that would be otherwise PC only as they require a mouse and keyboard (ie WoW, RTS games, etc...).

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

Thread author
I agree, being a long time PC gamer I am far more comfortable/accurate with a keyboard and mouse than a controller. This may change though as I know Microsoft is bringing keyboard and mouse support to the xbox and I am assuming Sony won't be to far behind. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It may make certain players have an advantage over others, but it may also open up the platform to more games that would be otherwise PC only as they require a mouse and keyboard (ie WoW, RTS games, etc...).
You can easily detect if a player is using a Controller or KB/M, so you can separate the lobbies.

Of course this depends entirely on the developer, they tend to be lazy with details.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 72227

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.